Bike frame as a fuel tank, has anyone tried this?

Great Job!

Especially on the tank and the exhaust. I have seen a few Felts where they didn't seal the tank and it always makes me wonder why they bothered with a Felt in the first place.

I like the checkerboard on the motor. Ties it in nicely.

Thx. Yes, Autozone has black and white high temp engine paint so I had to do the checkerboard! I'm thinking about putting a strip around the muffler too.

I just uploaded new photos of the taxi bike. I feel comfortable saying it is 100% complete now. I've got 52 miles on it and it runs really good. Check out the new photos in the "Gallery" or "Projects" section of my site:

www.AnaheimBasementPub.com

-Jim

I like the motor painted black but the exhaust looks a bit bashed up now. What happened? I found that conduit and a pipe bender did a pretty decent job for custom exhaust.

The muffler didn't clear the pedals. I stopped working on the bike for almost a year because I figured I needed to go to a muffler shop. So then on Labor day I had a lot of free time and was tired of not being able to ride it so I used a pipe to bend the muffler, and I almost got it to fit. I had to use a small sledge hammer to make the pedals clear. Yep, it looks banged up, even after painting it, but it works and it got me on the road. I want to relocate the muffler under the bike between the pedals. I've seen it like that on other bikes. I tend to wear shorts alot and I've rubbed the muffler a few times with my bare legs, and it is quite hot. Do you think a muffler shop can cut my existing muffler and re-run the pipe between the cranks?

Felt Taxi

I own a Felt MP and I mounted a 3-speed stick shift to the right of the tank by the front forks. It is a sweet ride and definately turns heads.

I just bought the Felt Taxi from Floyds Bike shop in Santa Ana. He had a friend weld the tank holes so it could be used for a tank. It looks like it will hold about a half gallon. I am going to also mount a small half gallon cylinder shaped tank behind the seat as a reserve tank.

Question to those out there that have made their own tanks. Does the gas cap need to be ventalated? If the carb is sucking the fuel out of the tank, I would think that there needs to be a way for air to vent into the tank otherwise the pressue would prevent the fuel from flowing.

Yes The tank has to be vented it should have had a cap on it I am the one who sealed it and no I did not do any welding on it as you claim.

Hey HBLOCAL,

I assumed it had been welded because the checkered tank sticker had been repaired. It looks like it was painted in some spots. I just figured the sticker melted when it was welded.
The tank did have a cap on it when I bought it, but it wasn't vented. I replaced the cap with a new one. You can see the pictures in the "Projects", or "Gallery" section of my website.

www.AnaheimBasementPub.com

nice bike... only one thing, why would you go through all that trouble and not buy a jackshaft for you felt???

Also wanted to know where you got that headlight...

I am new to the whole motorized bike thing and this was my first attempt. I didn't know about jackshafts, but now I do!

I bought the headlight at a regular bike shop. I liked the chrome hood. It used to be all chrome but I painted the back of it black. I still see them around. The tail light is off a Harley, it is one of the turn signals I believe.

its keith I am the one you saw at the long beach swap meet " H.B Local " I would be more than happy to assist anyone who has questions on how I seal up the Felt frames both steel and aluminum. 714-536-3940 " also I am in the Huntington Beach area I also have a Felt " king pin for sale " $ 900 sweet bike w/ tank sealed

Hey HB LOCAL my names Jeremy and. I stayright around the corner from you in Costa Mesa. I was wondering how much would you charge to do the tank on my Felt I believe its a Red Baron edition? Its kinda hard to tell because the guy I got it from has spraypainted the whole thing red... overspray everywhere... besides that though the ikes in fairly good shape considering.... lol . It has the black 25x3.0 Thick Brick wheels and the drop zone headset and some kinda decal on the tank area I have yet to get the paint off and see exactly what it is. But anyways yeah if you could just gimme a quote to seal the tank that would be AWESOME !!! Ihave been wanting to do that since I first laid eyes on the frame man. Thanks a lot , Jeremy

Hey HB LOCAL my names Jeremy and. I stayright around the corner from you in Costa Mesa
Hey Jerbyrd666,

You do realise that the post your expecting a reply to is almost 11 years old now, Right???

The original post started in June of 2007, and the guy your asking help from, last posted here in January 6th of 2010...lol.

Always look for the dates when they were originally posted and then replied to.

It will save you from waiting for an answer that will probably never happen...lol...DAMIEN

Back