Bike frames for motorized bicycles

How many attempts do you have to do before you're proficient at making a clean TIG weld that doesn't leak? Because you're going to have to have some proficiency chops at making a long string of fuel tight welds with those 3 pieces of steel. I would also say if you don't want the fuel tank to be something that guts or injures you in an accident, it might be good to buy an English Wheel and learn how to make rounded shapes in sheet steel too. Pretty soon all the tools involved are going to be way more expense than just finding someone who knows what they're doing and have them make you a custom tank.
My next big project is gonna be building a bike completely from scratch and making my own one of these "felt fakers" juat for the fun of it.

How many attempts do you have to do before you're proficient at making a clean TIG weld that doesn't leak? Because you're going to have to have some proficiency chops at making a long string of fuel tight welds with those 3 pieces of steel. I would also say if you don't want the fuel tank to be something that guts or injures you in an accident, it might be good to buy an English Wheel and learn how to make rounded shapes in sheet steel too. Pretty soon all the tools involved are going to be way more expense than just finding someone who knows what they're doing and have them make you a custom tank.
It's definitely easier said than done.

Practice on scrap until you feel confident in your skills. It has been said it takes 10,000 hours to master anything.

Sometimes it isn't about the destination, it's about the journey and the experiences along the way. ('-')7
Guess what? My journey still hasn't finished and I've put thousands of hours into my craft as a mechanic. We as a group that worships at the quick and easy altar, this talk about "welding up a integral gas bike fuel tank makes me laugh.. As I was working tubing prep at Burley's tandem frame shop for two years and their lead welder has the chops to possibly do what the former commenter was blithely describing as a skill you just pick up like it's easy. I can TIG, But can I TIG proficiently on extremely thinwall without blowing holes and (or) not linking the beads? On something as mission critical as a fuel tank that should not crack, fail or leak. Is it going to be in Aluminum? If you're that good the aluminum boat industry already has employed you and you're not wanting to build motorized bicycle frames because it saves money.

Guess what? My journey still hasn't finished and I've put thousands of hours into my craft as a mechanic. We as a group that worships at the quick and easy altar, this talk about "welding up a integral gas bike fuel tank makes me laugh.. As I was working tubing prep at Burley's tandem frame shop for two years and their lead welder has the chops to possibly do what the former commenter was blithely describing as a skill you just pick up like it's easy. I can TIG, But can I TIG proficiently on extremely thinwall without blowing holes and (or) not linking the beads? On something as mission critical as a fuel tank that should not crack, fail or leak. Is it going to be in Aluminum? If you're that good the aluminum boat industry already has employed you and you're not wanting to build motorized bicycle frames because it saves money.
Some people have a knack at welding, I'm far from a "pro" (even though I DO get paid to weld) but I passed my coupon test first try.

Most will give up midway through ambitious projects, but there are people out there that will never give up, they thrive on challenge, I too love a good challenge, but work too damn much to enjoy it.

If you already have the tools and equipment, yeah, you'll save money building a custom frame, if not, you'll probably end up paying more.

Back