Bike Lanes

I figured riding in the bike lane was more dangerous when a ******* driver wrecked me while making a right turn in front of me.
James

I had somebody almost do this to me a few days ago. What really cheesed me off was that they clearly had to have seen me there. Luckily there was enough pavement to swerve and gun the gas to get out of the way. It was a volvo driver, for some reason they're always trying to kill me no matter what I'm driving.
Always watch out for volvo drivers, they buy the cars because they're pi*ss poor drivers and have already been in accidents and want to feel safe inside their steel cage.

Hey I have a volvo! but back on topic....:p

bike lanes: heck yeah!

side walks: never

bike paths: usually avoid, and never with motor

Road: I will stay on the edge, and even pull off if i see a big rig comming if the speed limit is over 35, but any thing under i ride in the middle of the road, but my bike can keep pace with 25-30mph traffic, and I signal turns

What got me was all those people that chided me for not getting the car's plate numbers and calling the police. I was too busy flying over my handlebars and the idiot drove off before I hit the ground.

I still have yet to receive the ER hospital bill for that stunt.

Well - we shouldn't be on any bicycle paths here in Ca.. Bicycle lanes they say are for MBs also - but let's face it - if we are going over 25 mph - maybe the bike lane is not best ?? Main thing - drive safe.. Happy Riding from - Mountainman

We have a multi-use path in my town with the same "no motorized vehicles" signs.It is not heavily used,particularly in summer (110 everyday).I use the path constantly because I feel it's much safer than the roadway.The "authorities" pass me all the time and have never stopped me.I don't think we are motorized vehicles as we are not governed by the DMV in Arizona.It may become an issue in the winter with all the older folks walking their dogs and such,we'll see.The GEBE r/s 35 kit is so quiet people don't here you coming so you need to use caution when approaching........Bill

First trip out of my neighborhood- 40 minute round trip

I've been buzzing around a 4 mile radius at 17-20 mph. Today went on a 20 minute ride to my local collage to buy books. On the way their I rode on the "wide" shoulder of a 50 mph highway. Comming back I rode in the bike lane of a 35 mph arterial. I prefer the highway because their is less stops and less man hole covers and drain grates. I rode the loop because I want to "expose" the bike to as many people and Cops as possible. I saw 2 state patrol and 2 local cops. None seemed to even notice I was not pedaling! I feel more comfortable now that the HT is not a issue as of yet in the capitol of Oregon. I keep the muffler quiet and have a Bicycle helmet, headlight, and side mirror. I have had to blast a loud "Cat Call" whilstle to get pedestrians and even stopped cyclist clear the bike lane and get on the SIDE WALK!

I use the car left hand turning lanes which means I use hand signals to change lanes in traffic.

here in Memphis the majority of drivers don't have any respect for bikes, motor or no motor. So, I ride in the lane just to the right of middle. If I ride close to the curb these same stupid people will try to pass me without getting out of the lane and come way too close when passing. Some of them get ****ed and I just tell them if they don't like it to ride the bus.

Bike path - No
Bike lanes - Yes
Sidewalk - No

And I also ride like I'm a bicycle and stick to the edge of the road whenever possible.

above - work pretty well here in Calif -- also

In regards to Nuttsy's post above --
yes - some of those joggers seem to think that they own the bike lane !!

Oh well - Ride That Thing - Mountainman

Back