Bike Lanes

Drfefe2

Local time
12:40 PM
I am interested to know if any of you guys ride your happy time engines in marked bike lanes. We have many really nice bike trails here in Minneapolis but sometimes I feel a bit awkward passing people on narrow bike trails. I have already spoken to the Dmv about the legality of MB and they are "unregisterable so I don't have to worry about licensing it".
This also gets me thinking. When you ride what do you pretend to be? A moped riding in the road keeping up with traffic? A bicycle on the side of the rode and sidewalks? or a little bit of both? I ask this question not with legality in mind but more of biking etiquette. I always feel like I am being rude when I ride in bike lanes; what do you think>?>

Well, here in Illinois the bike paths usually have signs that say, "NO Motor Vehicles".

That's pretty cut and dried. So I stay clear. Though I might use one someday if necessary with the engine off.

And when I ride I behave pretty much like a bicycle on the edge of the road.
I don't even try to mix with traffic.

Bike path-no; not on my MB. Sidewalk-NEVER! Not with a MB. Bike lanes- yes; always. That's what they're there for! What gets me P/O'd is when some jogger jerk thinks they can only jog in the road when there are sidewalks. Here in FLA. it's a state statute that ...when there is a sidewalk, pedestrians are not allowed in the street... Yet the po-po do nothing. Why is this a sticking point for me? The jogger is facing traffic and can see all. You on you bike are riding WITH traffic and head on at the pedestrian. Even with a mirror you are still at risk as now you have to swerve INTO the traffic lane to avoid the idiot.
A machete seems like a good learning tool! :)

Bike path - No
Bike lanes - Yes
Sidewalk - No

And I also ride like I'm a bicycle and stick to the edge of the road whenever possible.

I ride in bike lanes when I can. It's reall up to the local municipality who sets the rules here in california. Never on sidewalks unless I'm pulling up to a bike rack to lock up.

I ride in the middle of the road lanes like a motorcycle while riding downtown where there are many stoplights. I figured riding in the bike lane was more dangerous when a ******* driver wrecked me while making a right turn in front of me. Fractured rib, elbow and wrist from that. Blocking the lane prevents them from cutting me off like that besides my bike is able to keep up with traffic downtown.

James

Blocking the lane prevents them from cutting me off like that besides my bike is able to keep up with traffic downtown. James[/QUOTE said:
Yeah, I hear that. Sometimes ya have to block 'em out. They sure don't care about you!

I treat my MB as a bicycle. On the bike trails they even have me on the tee vee.
That means I rule lol!!
I do display proper etiquette though. I let other bikers pass me. I ride slow.
When I do this most everyone doesn't seem to mind.
There's always that one exception but we cannot change the world.
One trick I like to do it works to a tee.
When I see a dude or lady with or even without a dog or a fellow rider I shut my engine off and pedal. BUT when I pass him I act like I'm straining and I breath heavily. When I pass bikers that are slower and going the same direction I pedal along so it seems like the engine is simply helping me out. And as I pass them I breath heavily.
So to them they are subconsciously thinking "Yea. This dude needs his engine. It's not like he's terrorizing the roads. And he shut off his engine so my dog doesn't freak out. He's cool with me."
It even works if you are not fat like jolly old me. Nowadays even skinny people can have a condition where strenuous exercise cannot be done.
There is my advice.
Go now Danielson.

I feel safest driving on the shoulder on the freeway however I feel a little nervous near the offramps.

Large,
Glad to see you let the politics slide by and stuck around. Always enjoy your 'insights' !

James,
FREEWAY!....YIPES! Is that legal where you are? Even so, that would take some hair.
WC

The freeway of which I speak is Highway 101 in Northern California. It's legal to ride bicycles on the shoulder here. I think I actually got it up to 45 mph with wide open throttle at one stretch. That was crazy and hair raising. As I mentioned, those off ramps make me nervous because those cars are approaching me from behind and crossing my path at a much greater speed.

The CHP hasn't given me any trouble being out there however I won't ride on the interstate freeways.

James

Back