bike light generator -[ white wire - battery lighting ]

spunout said:
i got a schwinn generator light set from target for 10bux, a 12V automotive dome bulb, ran one wire from bulb to power, one ground, elec. taped around base of bulb n pressed it into where the screw-type bulb goes. Can go as fast as wanted w/no burnout. using battery light for rear

I did this too, except I used a heavy duty 6volt battery from a flashlight, (it's this thick brick of a battery, im sure you guys have seen them before) and modifed the headlight so the ground connection is diverted from touching the frame, and instead connects to the (-) terminal through a wire, mounted a nice little toggle switch on the handlebars, in the most perfect spot, and rode!

Hey DC,
I understand all there is about the Wheatstone Bridge Rectifier but where does the overcharge dump so as not to blow the battery up after it has hit the max load amps?
Doc :???:

where does the overcharge dump so as not to blow the battery up after it has hit the max load amps?

Yes, good question...

I always thought the problem was that the white wire only produced but 0.5 amps?

I don't see a huge overload happening with a 3 watt bulb / LED; particularly while running a rear light too.

I will give the setup a roll just as soon as I have time.

"it's all about the time - lol - not the cash"

PS - anybody have a problem with chain vs. tire clearance on a Schwinn cruiser (typhoon)? - See my other post.

BTW - it seems that posting in this section gets less attention than the general section..... maybe it's just me...?

dr_clabo said:
BTW - it seems that posting in this section gets less attention than the general section..... maybe it's just me...?

well, it's actually planned that way...this is a specific-problem Q & A section, clutter isn't encouraged. we've left this here because the topic contains answers & *new* ideas about a very common issue. trust me, this topic gets its fair share of views on average.

this is really good stuff, keep it up...the gearhead in me HAS to find a way to make the white-wire system work 8)

I am curious as I do not like the idea of mucking with batteries of any form. Are you talking about pulling off the magneto?

Hey DC, I wonder if you ran the white wire through a DC to DC trickle charger and then to battery, if that would take care of any overload?

Hey DC, I wonder if you ran the white wire through a DC to DC trickle charger and then to battery, if that would take care of any overload?

Ingenious idea and concept. Give it a roll and post report - I am anxious to see the results.

As stated here and by others:

"If a zener regulator was desired, so be it for the consummate techs".

Hope that will help,
~DC~

I don't understand why you put the battery there? The traditional solution to this kind of problem is to put a big, honkin' capacitor after the diode rectifier. Look at the examples on this page: http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/powersup.htm. In particular, look at "Transformer + Rectifier + Smoothing." The ~smoothing~ stage is a capacitor.

As soon as I get my bike I'm going to mess around with the electrical and see what I can get out. I've got an oscilloscope, so that should really help!

take care
n

Npk, you sound like you know what you are talking about. Would you use a regular bridge rectifier with zener's and if so how many Mfd's on the Capacitor for the filter? By looking at your pics what would be the final regulater? A smaller DC bridge or a wound adjustable coil for resistance with one diode for the trickle charge?
I'm interested know. Let us know what you can work out on the scope and then if you have it working good PLEASE leave us the layout in laymens terms so that we can go to Radio Smack and get the parts.

I know it is going to take some time so from all of us to you -HURRY UP we are anxious.
Thanks
Doc

Back