Bike Security Bike Locks

I keep all my bikes locked together at night with a little Master Lock and a chain from an old hanging lamp. It's enough to keep drunken/stoned people from deciding that riding my stuff would be easier than walking. No one would steal them to own them. It'd be a little sketchy for a thief to board the ferry or cross the border, the police would alert both as soon as I reported the theft. And, of course, there is the possibility that I would kill them if I caught them (a pretty good deterrent). Alaskans sometimes stray from that tightrope called civilized behavior in more densely populated areas.

About the only way i'm gonna "borrow" anything of yours is if i've got a hellicopter waiting. :)

My mate picked up a lock for his motorbike in Autoban for $20, it's unpickable via bic-pen and the key is not a standard key in that it's not cut the same way with a jagged side, instead it's indented along the flat sides at random locations. also the chain part is 1 inch thick braided steel with 1/4 inch rubber/clear plastic stuff on it. You would need hydrolic bolt cutters to get through it and picking the lock would be impossible :)

i'll grab a pic of it next time i have the camera and see him :)
Sounds nice... Find out the brand name, too. I'd buy something like that if I could find it.

Hey all, well im not sure if tehre's been a discussion on this but we all don't want to lose our bikes so, what have you got and post up some experiences ?

I plan on buying
https://www.kryptonitelock.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?cid=1000&scid=1000&pid=1095

New York Fahgettaboudit® U-lock

Extreme bicycle protection!

SKU - 997986
3.25" x 6" (8.3cm x 153cm)

securityrating_12.gif

Anti-Theft Protection: What's this?
US & CAN Bicycle - $4500; UK Bicycle - ₤2500; Germany Bicycle - 2000

* 18mm hardened MAX-Performance steel shackle resists bolt cutters and leverage attacks
* Oversized hardened steel sleeve over crossbar for double security
* Double deadbolt locking for extensive holding power
* High security disc-style cylinder
* Center keyway defends against leverage attacks
* Protective vinyl coating
* Sliding dustcover protects and extends cylinder life
* 3 keys - one lighted with high intensity bulb & replaceable battery

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the Fat Cat that I have.

Heavy sucker. Nice insurance policy for the bike. Nice lock indeed.

Good lock. Any U-lock is a great way to go. Cable locks are absolute junk. Take a close look at that insurance policy, I think you need to have the broken lock in order to claim the insurance. What if the thief takes the lock so he doesn't leave behind something with his prints ?
I use one of Kryptonites chain locks and a U-lock

unless locked to something solid

6 inches long won't go around very many things.

can't be wraped around most things
maybe frame to a bicycle rack ?

if our MBs or bikes are not locked to something solid
there is (((no protection)))

years ago my friend and I locked our bikes together for a breif moment
gone fast -- someone saw them being thrown into the back of a pickup

ride the motor bike

I don't know if this is the right place for this and I can't find anything here on the subject.

How do you people lock your bike when on the road? These motorized bikes have to be pretty tempting to thieves. I need some good lock options that don't cost a fortune and work well.

Any info on locks used when bikes were stolen would be good too.

Last edited:
Back