Bike Security Bike Locks

mightymouse33

Local time
9:19 AM
OK so I looked around in the forum and did not see too many security/anti theft posts....maybe im blind and please tell me if I am b/c I did look... Now I havnt personally used to many different types of locks but it would be cool to hear from anyone who has had luck with the lock of there choice. I also found a lock by a company called Axa. The lock is called the defender and it seems to be pretty nifty but I do not know if it will fit most bike tires. My wheel is 26" x 2.125" and im not sure if this will work. If anyone knows or has any other suggestions for different brands/types of locks please inform us all. Bike theft kinda blows

I prefer something that coils and wraps around a pole, signpost, rack, something... some like keys, others like the digit coded locks. I always liked keys, because they're quicker and more secure. But lately, I've been very forgetful, so I just bought two locks at WalMart - one keyed, one keyless - for about $14. I'll see for myself which one I like better again.

Yeah thats what I figured I would do for the first lock.. Chain is strong but heavy and keys help but can also get lost so I think finding the thickest combination cable lock is best and then just couple it with a second line of defense to be sure

Those cheapo walmart locks aren't going to do a whole lot if someone really wants your bike, one cut with a bolt cutter and your bike is gone.I bought a few feet of chain that wasnt too big but was strong, i then used a outdoor masterlock that is almost unbreakable. My motor bike and my bmx bike are the only ones i lock up around here..

I have a GOD lock. When a thief tries to steal my bike GOD throws a lighting strike at the perpetrator.
So far,GOD hasn't needed to do this to anyone yet.

OK so I looked around in the forum and did not see too many security/anti theft posts....maybe im blind and please tell me if I am b/c I did look... Now I havnt personally used to many different types of locks but it would be cool to hear from anyone who has had luck with the lock of there choice. I also found a lock by a company called Axa. The lock is called the defender and it seems to be pretty nifty but I do not know if it will fit most bike tires. My wheel is 26" x 2.125" and im not sure if this will work. If anyone knows or has any other suggestions for different brands/types of locks please inform us all. Bike theft kinda blows
If u find an American outlet for these locks please let me know....a friend is going to India in 3 mths but i would rather have the Dutch type.
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=9732

Those cheapo walmart locks aren't going to do a whole lot if someone really wants your bike, one cut with a bolt cutter and your bike is gone.I bought a few feet of chain that wasnt too big but was strong, i then used a outdoor masterlock that is almost unbreakable.
The thick coiling locks would take more than one cut... but if "someone really wants your bike", all they gotta do is drive around with a truck & a portable grinder (or a power inverter & AC grinder), and they can have any bike they want.

There's really nothing you can do about somebody that serious who's watching your every step. I think as long as the bike is locked to something solid in the ground... you're gonna be fine. But, of course, your location could be a bit more brutal than mine, but I find that pretty hard to believe.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW a hundred bucks for a bike lock. But it's insured for up to $3500. So I guess it's a good deal. I sure wouldn't want to lose my ride. I'm considering.

Last edited:
Yea Cronus pretty much screams "TAKE ME!"
MOOP too but not as bad.
I have a Wal Mart lock.
Maybe I should get a good chain lock and like two more home made locks via lowes. At least the good chain lock will keep things straight. The other two locks just so the thief will think twice.

Back