Bike runs better in cold vs hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakota

Local time
7:45 AM
Just curious to know why my bike runs best in cold. Feels like has more power. When its barely warm outside it seems to over rev if i try go more than half throttle. Anything i can do to make it run good all the time or do i have to adjust it depending on weather?

the cold/hot thing sounds like it is too rich - the over rev thing sounds like clutch slipping a bit

I have the c clip on the needle at the top notch. How else can i lean it out?

Just curious to know why my bike runs best in cold. Feels like has more power. When its barely warm outside it seems to over rev if i try go more than half throttle. Anything i can do to make it run good all the time or do i have to adjust it depending on weather?
People who have large seasonal temperature swings use a larger jet in the winter and a smaller jet in the summer. Which jet you need will vary, and is determined by your particular engine setup along with the temp. and elev. where you live. In the winter the cold air is denser, denser air has more oxygen, and more oxygen to fuel runs leaner.
People get quite precise on these settings to find the sweet spot. I'm not quite as meticulous. If you start it and let it warm up a couple of mins. then quickly crack open the throttle if it has a slight balk or hesitation then revs quickly and takes longer than normal to die back down it's lean. This is usually but not always the jet, and adjustment of the needle clip should be tried first. If you can get rid of the balk by moving the clip down 1 notch at a time you are probably very close. If not then you need a larger jet.
If while riding you feel the engine reaches a point that it is 4 stroking but when you hit a hill it seems to run better the opposite of the method above would apply.

Heat dissipation is set by your Spark Plug Heat Index.
If you are running a 7 or 8 Heat Index you many be running your engine too cold.

My bike wont ride in blizzard soon as a cold wind comes up performance drops down when I really need it to get of the elements.

Thanks for the help!! Much appreciated everyone. Waiting on my new high performance carburetor to get here td sense i ruined mine. Ill get a jet kit as well and find one that works best. The spark plug im running rn is a NGK B6HS. Im living in Tennessee at the moment unfortunately and weather changes alot. And ive noticed before it does pull me up a hill real good at full throttle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back