Engine Trouble Bike runs great but won't idle

worknlikeadog

Local time
8:42 AM
I have a stock motor and and just got done with the first tank of fuel but the whole time I have been riding the bike it stalls when I compress the clutch. What do I need to do to get the bike to idle when stopped.

Look on the left side of the carb and you should see a screw with a spring wrapped around the threads.
Turn that screw in and it will raise the idle.

Last edited:
which carb doe sit have on it?
it's possible that you have the slide in the carb wrong.
There are 2 slots in the slide, a long one and a short one.
The short slot should be on the left where the idle screw is at.
if the long slot is on the left side, there won't be anything for the idle screw to seat against. The long slot gets lined up with a little pin that's cast into the side of the carb on the inside.
BUT, normally if the slide is in wrong, you will have no throttle response and the slide will be bound up in the carb.
if the slide is in right, you may have to remove the float bowl and make sure that the main jet is still screwed in.
sometimes the main jet will loosen up and fall out into the float bowl.
if there is no main jet, it will not idle and it will be getting way too much gas when you ride it...normally the engine will run, but not very well, and it will be way too rich.

Works great now, time for upgrades. I need headlights tail lights, I'm working on a iPhone mount with a speaker system so I don't need headphones.

man, earphones(buds) and m.b.'s don' mix in my opinion. You need to hear when there's a car. ambulance or police car behind you.

The fix was tinkering with carb till I got a good clean idle. I think the slide was in wrong. What I mean by not having to use headphones is I want listen to music I hate earbuds anytime let alone when I ride my bike. And so far I don't ride much on roads. Mostly trails.

Back