BIKE STAND

rgflynn

Local time
1:28 PM
Hi All. I have a 80cc motorised bike though not had it to long and wanted to know what would be the best
stand to use to so I can get the motor started from stationary instead of peddling on the road to get it started
as the bike I have is a lot of hard work to peddle to get it started.
So was thinking of some kind of stand to lift the rear wheel so I can sit on the bike and peddle
to get it going.I hope you can figure out what I'm getting at.(I have had a few Jim Beams.)
Also I'm a limey from the UK so hoping I can find something over here.:(

you'll find that it is better to attach a smaller pedal sprocket on single speed bikes for easier starting - most stands tend to fold up under that kind of treatment

If it starts good and runs good. You can kick start it one hand on the seat one on the bars lift the back wheel off ground then put pedal to top position put your foot on it and kick. I did theat for years. If it doesn't start first kick then I new something was up.

I suppose you could use a turbo trainer. Fifty quid in Aldi when they have them. The drum/brake thingy unbolts so you can have just the stand, which folds flat if you want to carry it. Heavy though. You have to use a suitable quick release skewer.

you'll find that it is better to attach a smaller pedal sprocket on single speed bikes for easier starting - most stands tend to fold up under that kind of treatment

Thanks Crassius I had an idea they would probably fold up when sat on the bike that's why I haven't bought one yet.
Since I'm not clued up on these bikes how do I attach a smaller pedal sprocket I have never heard of them.?

If it starts good and runs good. You can kick start it one hand on the seat one on the bars lift the back wheel off ground then put pedal to top position put your foot on it and kick. I did theat for years. If it doesn't start first kick then I new something was up.

Thanks skyash. Well I cant see it working that way as it seems to take awhile for it to get started when I take it out on the road
infact I find it hard work .
I haven't used it for a few months because of the sweat it takes to get it started.so I have been using my E Bike instead

I suppose you could use a turbo trainer. Fifty quid in Aldi when they have them. The drum/brake thingy unbolts so you can have just the stand, which folds flat if you want to carry it. Heavy though. You have to use a suitable quick release skewer.
Thanks Furry.but since I'm as tight as a ducks nether region it seems like a lot of cash to pay out. would be better if I could half inch it.

yes, a larger rear sprocket is good too, but they can be hard to find - a front sprocket is easier to find at a junk yard, and if needed, the whole pedal crank can be replaced to get a three-sprocket option for pedaling (though with three sprockets finger selectable, one would then also need an adjustable chain tensioner for pedal side - perhaps an old derailer to do nothing but tension a longer chain)

You can get a good tripod kickstand, or assuming you have a coaster brake just go up a tooth or two on the your back wheel pedal side. 18T is what I usually use but it all depends on your bike.
They are a breeze to change, jut pop the retaining ring off and the sprocket comes right off.

Sprockets are cheap, my local bike shop lets me just swap for a different one for free.

That will make it easier to pedal and as a bonus you will have more force for the coaster brake ;-}

Back