bike still won't run, and I'm going nuts... HELP!

I had this same pressurization/vapor lock problem with my tank (60cc skyhawk). I finally drilled a 3/64" hole in the cap and I've had no problems since. you could probably get away with a 1/16" if you are careful to cover it when not in use... I just drape an old grease rag over the whole tank anytime I park it in the garage. You could also use some sticky tack to cover the hole when storing your bike. Although I have to say that since I saw the skull and crossbones cap-hole cover that @Motorpsycho posted I might have to go do something similar... that was ingenious!

the smallest drill bit I could find was just a 1/16" (I don't have a lot of choices of places to go that I can get to on the bus). I was going to try to fashion some sort of cap with bits of hardware, but then it dawned on me that since I had just picked up some JB Weld putty, I could just make the rain shied USING the JB Weld. I created a "tunnel" open on one end that extends past the edge of the cap. I used the non-cutting end of a drill bit as a form to build the "tunnel" around. Once it's fully cured, I'm going to sand it to make it look better, and I just might shove some filter foam into the open end.

The bike still isn't running right, so I've taken apart and cleaned the carb. Even though there is more "not right" about the bike, ventilation was DEFINITELY a contributing factor

Gawd, I'm feeling so butch today. If I get this running right and consistently TODAY, I've got a cigar waiting for me-- Opus X

For Poop's Sake!

OK, I have: vented the gas cap (fuel flows just fine now); cleaned the carburetor; cleaned the air filter; gapped the plug... and it still won't run.

Actually, before it was at least going for five to fifteen minutes, but now it won't go at all anymore.

It tries... it's firing, kinda, I can hear it. It "pop pop"s like it's firing (or... backfiring).

So, what's next? New plug? The old one isn't old enough to be worn out, but it could be out-of-the-box defective (it is the one that came with the kit.)

I'm getting tired of riding the bus!

Kit plugs suck, .........no....... that's giving them credit.
Kit plugs are actually slingshot ammo, just disguised as a spark plug.

The stock spark plug wire and spark plug cap are garbage as well.

i've gone ahead and ordered both from SBPs. I've gotten my orders from them quickly in the past, so hopefully this one will come quickly as well. Thursday is my next day off, hopefully they will come by then. I'm gettin' tired of my bike being a piece of expensive art.

OK, my first problems were: poorly ventilated gas tank and a leaking fuel cock. The bike would start and run for awhile, but only for about ten minutes. The leak wasn't going to keep the bike from running, but I fixed that first (simple stuff-- better gasket, some gasket maker goop) and then vented the cap with a small hole and a rain cover molded from JB Weld putty. Fuel flows freely as it should.

I also cleaned the carburetor and air filter because... well, why not. I also think that I had gotten too much 2-stroke oil into the carb first thing. Cleaned and fully dried before reassembling.

While I was at it, I upgraded the plug wire from the CDI as well as the spark plug itself. Gapped to .020 as recommended by Sick Bike Parts (.018 to .022)

Magneto is clean and dry. Clutch is clean and dry. Fuel filter has been in place since day one. CDI connections are clean.

BUT IT STILL WON'T RUN.

what am I missing? what should I look at next? This is driving me mental because right now all I have is the bus, and it takes two hours to get to work each way... The bike will cut that down to about 40 minutes. Spending 4 hours a day on the bus is screwing with my ability to sleep (because I'm left with about two hours a day to eat, relax, and try to do chores), and my health condition can't take this much longer.

This is going to sound really lame, I know, but I'll ask it anyway: Have you checked your kill switch?

I ask because I had a faulty kill switch that drove me nuts till I realized what the problem was.

Remove the plug and ground it to the engine, then turn the engine over to see if you are getting spark. If so, it is a fuel problem.

Back