Bike Trailer

Chainmaker, i can't thank you enough for posting that link.

I was going to put arceeguy at the top of my friends list, but you've just taken first place!

Cheers Fabian

Kamp Rite is a really cool company and you are lucky to have them down there. My son has connections at Target and I am going to have to see if he can swing one of those my way. I was never too in to the two wheel version trailers but after seeing Fabians rig and where he travels with it I am changing my mind. Good on ya mate!

They also have an inline wheel trailer too and a number of other innovative tents. I really like how they get you off the ground because that can be an issue in wet country.

I like that trailer very much, but the price tag is a bit steep. It looks to me like it was inspired by Tony's design, so why not take a gander at Tony's Bicycle Tent Trailer.

Simple design, do it yourself friendly, and MUCH cheaper*.

*If you build your own

Last edited:
I was considering a bike trailer, but my local (so-called sealed) roads have heaps of potholes and bumps.
I doubt that any trailer would stay upright, or if it did, the contents would be well shaken up or broken, even behind my electric bike with a max speed of 30kph.
Behind the MB??? No way. I'm probably just unlucky in terms of road quality, but I can barely hang onto the handlebars at 40-50kph on most of our roads, unless I stay out in the middle. The Princes Highway, (for those familiar), is relatively smooth, so when I feel lucky I use it, but I don't want to die just yet, so bumpy side-streets are the go most of the time.

If anyone can show me a trailer with good travel suspension, adjustable for load and set up for axle-level towing, I'm there.

Although not relevant, (due to lack of torque), I learned in my early days driving tractors to pull a load from as low as possible. The higher the draw-bar attaches to the towing vehicle above axle level, the more chance there is of flipping the towing vehicle. (I've done it, with my grandfather's tractor, about 35-40 years ago. He was not happy with Steve.)

... Steve

Extrawheel

It's not a two-wheel trailer, but the Extrawheel uses a full-sized bicycle wheel and has practically zero tongue weight( unlike a Bob trailer.) It's made for off-road expedition touring and works very well. I've used it on a bunch of trails here around Bozeman and a friend of mine has used one on his Great Divide ride (2700 miles off road from Banff to Mexico.)

2865418009_c2b62cc5aa_d.jpg

Here's a video of one in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ijnEr1kn98&feature=player_embedded

Also, some guy used one with a Surly Pugsley to bicycle the Canning Stock Route.
http://www.wildworks.co.nz/csr/photographs.php

If you look at that trailer it is just a rear suspension swing arm and a rear section of a bike with a basket holding them together. I think I just might try to build one for the tadpole I m starting in a couple weeks... c'mon warmer weather (at least drier) I got a bike to build.
cheers

Back