Bike will not move at all, Clutch locked

mastafoo

Local time
5:24 PM
When I completely assembled my 80cc motorized bicycle kit, everything looked good, and hooked up nicely. Aside from some chain length issues, I managed to set up everything so I could push the bike freely with the clutch in the Neutral position. When I began attempting to ride the bike and gain enough speed to start the motor, the clutch would lock randomly while still in the Neutral position. I think it locked when I had switched to the engine drive position, too. I could fix this by stopping, backing up a bit, and moving forward. Now, it did the same thing but is stuck for good. I can't move the bike in neutral, even after adjusting the tension cables. I'm stumped now... any advice from a hardened veteran?

P.S. By lock I mean switch to engine drive, but as far as I am concerned it could be locked :(
The chain also has a bit slack but never appears jammed...

"red bat" 80cc China kit
16:1 fuel
Roadmaster mountain bike

Last edited:
On the opposite side of the engine from the clutch lever you'll see a removable cover. Take this off and you're looking at the clutch plate and pads themselves. I'll bet you need some adjustment there.

But I can't carry this any further because I've never adjusted there before. I keep it in mind because I know I'll need to sooner or later. Still, I'm sure you could find some hints by searching "clutch adjustment" or something like that.

Good luck.

I see you're riding a Roadmaster. I have a few of those lying around. I've been thinking about motorizing one, but that frame looks like a tight fit. But it also looks like you've managed it. That's good news. I might just go ahead and do it.

Thanks for the info, I'll take a look and play around with the clutch - hopefully fixing it will be as easy as adjusting it. I'll post updates when I can...
And yes, the roadmaster was a challenge but aside from the chain everything is a pretty nice fit. Feels pretty stable too.

Ok here's the scoop. I removed the plate and adjusted the so called flower nut in many different ways, with no avail. I also tried removing it along with the plate it was screwed on to so the friction pads were exposed. Nothing - the rear tire still wouldn't turn freely. I put it in neutral, I even pushed the little clutch lever as far as possible, and it was still locked in place. If the friction pads are exposed, I'm starting to think something internal is broken or something like that. I've notified the ebay seller and may replace the engine... If I can fix it now though that would be great. Any other ideas?

I'm having the same exact problem as you are with my 80cc kit. The only difference is mine has never spun freely, no matter what I do. I'm curious as to who you got your kit from...we may have gotten the same kit from the same person.

ebay seller luckyearlybird or something like that... I'm not complaining yet - If I can get a new engine block from her that works I'm a happy camper...but fixing the current one is much more convenient, if even possible. Return policy is something like 7 days though...

I had a similar failure going down a hill today. what happened was the chain got jammed inside the drive cog space in the drive unit. The problem was my rear cog was not balanced and I had to much slack in my chain. So, wen the chain whipped a bit it got stuck between the cog and the inside of the housing, locking up the rear wheel and making it skid for about 30 feet. Hopefully I got the chain on right now.

retromike3

The clutch being that bad is beyond reason.
Please post the brand of this TRASH being sold as a bicycle motor.

red bat?? Who sells it.

Back