Bike won't run off choke....

Haymaker21

Local time
9:52 AM
I have a HS 142f 4 stroke. I used it over a year ago and it was awesome. I stored it with gas still in it (like a rookie) and am now trying to get it up to speed. I checked all my bolts, tightened down the exhaust and took it out. The bike wont idle or run off choke. I first tried a simple fix of increasing my air intake by punching a hole in the plastic cover of the air filter. No luck. Then I tried gapping my spark plug. It was deeeep black so I figured I was running too rich. So I increased the gap with no change (I have since returned it to spec). So I figure, ok, it must be the carb. So I cleaned it out with some basic carb cleaner and added cleaner to my tank of gas, hoping I had solved it. I put it all back together yesterday and had no change. If I take the choke 1/4 off I get a boost of power but any more and the bike sputters and dies. Any tips are appreciated as I hope I've missed something. Thanks all.

probably an obstruction in the fuel delivery to the carb.
or a big intake air leak
or corrosion at the head/cylinder junction allowing an air leak

-First. give the two bolts and screw on the intake a few more 1/4 turns. Don't strip them by over tightening. If that doesn't help...
-Add a little gasket sealer to both sides of the intake gasket an reassemble. Remove the carb, add a little gasket sealer to the end of the manifold. Slide the carb back on and retighten. If that doesn't work...
-Buy some WD-40 spray. With the engine at idle, spray WD40 onto small areas of the carb and intake. If the engine suddenly speeds up, you have found the hole. The engine will run faster when WD40 leaks into it.
-Occasional, the carburetor itself can have a small pin hole in it, too small to see easily. If your carb has a leak, spraying the WD40 on it will help you find it.
Good luck.

I have a HS 142f 4 stroke. I used it over a year ago and it was awesome. I stored it with gas still in it (like a rookie) .
Your idle jet is plugged up.

Remove the black idle screw then gently pry the black plastic block up
that was captured under it.

Then use a thin strand of wire to clean the jet.

These carbs are notorious for plugging up.

Top intake jet clear, carb is tight and sealed with no air leaks and the fuel runs in like a charm. I have no idea what else it could be... Maybe it's time to visit a small engine shop... I'll let this thread know what I come up with as soon as I know.

top intake jet?
do you know the difference between an idle jet and a main jet?

Back