Engine Trouble bike won't start, any ideas?

First thing I do with these kits is toss out the kill switch, makes wiring much simpler and if the engine is running correctly, the choke will kill the engine. What I have noticed is that when the remaining two wires are connected, you can get spark regardless of how they're connected but only one way works. So switch the wires even if you have spark. Obviously this is pointless if you aren't getting fuel in, check the plug to see if it's wet. I never peddle for long on a first try with a new engine, firstly put some oil in the jug so you aren't dry starting. If it doesn't start within 5 seconds I stop and check for fuel/spark etc.
Whoa whoa... Never toss the kill switch. Safety needs to be number one if you're using these on public roads. Doing crap like that turns into news stories and people advocating for regulation and prohibition of our hobby.

I know lots of guys that don't run a kill switch. One way or the other don't make that much diff. I run one, but it is just one less thing to fail.

Whoa whoa... Never toss the kill switch. Safety needs to be number one if you're using these on public roads. Doing crap like that turns into news stories and people advocating for regulation and prohibition of our hobby.
You have a point, clutch cable cold break, throttle could get stuck wide open and on public roads, I see the potential for danger. I used to ride on public roads, did many a long trip and thought well hey, it's just a bicycle with an engine but anything could happen.

For now, I use it mainly at work as I have a huge yard and getting from the workshop to the office saves me a lot of time and I don't give the kill switch much thought. I still see it as more of a gimmick in a sense but it is there to safeguard the manufacturer against potential lawsuits and to meet regulations, that I do understand.

I know lots of guys that don't run a kill switch. One way or the other don't make that much diff. I run one, but it is just one less thing to fail.
I reconnected mine with a plug I can disconnect at any time for troubleshooting, noticed it takes a while to reach your carb and choke the engine and have it finally die. Also takes a while to start it up again as well.

I reconnected mine with a plug I can disconnect at any time for troubleshooting, noticed it takes a while to reach your carb and choke the engine and have it finally die. Also takes a while to start it up again as well.
You can't be serious lol.
Edit-Oh nevermind man i think i misunderstood you at first but now i see what your saying.

Last edited:
Idunno maybe my ass is too tight but I think recommendations for new people to eliminate a safety feature is not wise. My shut off button sticks sometimes. I'm pedaling my ass off and it won't start, I'll play with the button and it fires up. I have a sequence to starting my bike... Pull and wiggle on the button. Walk backwards with the clutch engaged for two or three strokes, and now, choke on. I have to walk backwards and cycle the engine because if I don't, the clutch won't grab and just squeal. If I back stroke 3 putts, it grabs every time.

Idunno maybe my ass is too tight but I think recommendations for new people to eliminate a safety feature is not wise. My shut off button sticks sometimes. I'm pedaling my ass off and it won't start, I'll play with the button and it fires up. I have a sequence to starting my bike... Pull and wiggle on the button. Walk backwards with the clutch engaged for two or three strokes, and now, choke on. I have to walk backwards and cycle the engine because if I don't, the clutch won't grab and just squeal. If I back stroke 3 putts, it grabs every time.

That sucks man. Why don't you adjust your clutch or get new pads and adjust it. Sounds like it won't be long until you go to hit that kill switch and it won't work. Who knows it might last a while. You'll never know when. More dangerous to rely on a janky device just my opinion.

That sucks man. Why don't you adjust your clutch or get new pads and adjust it. Sounds like it won't be long until you go to hit that kill switch and it won't work. Who knows it might last a while. You'll never know when. More dangerous to rely on a janky device just my opinion.
Oh I rarely use it anymore. Usually when I roll into an area with a bunch of people. Maybe it is new clutch pads. But I roll-out backwards, pull the clutch and pedal let go, it grabs. What did rolling backwards do?

Maybe wiped grease off or some other contaminate. Have you taken the cover off and inspected it? If it works for you though man it's all good.

Back