Bike wont start, covered the basics, now what?

Ibjhuff

Local time
4:34 PM
Just pulled the old bike out after about 5 years of sitting. New magnetto, new coil, new plug, new muffler and gasket, cleaned float bowl. Im getting a decent looking spark, i believe im getting a good amount of fuel "plug is wet after multiple attempts at starting". Put my thumb over spark plug hole and turned engine over seems to have good compression. After multiple times troubleshooting had a buddy tow me a few blocks on his moped in case i flooded it. Got nothing, not even a pop or a sputter. What could i possibly be overlooking? Thanks guys

compression is tricky because it also depends on the seals working - with seals out, piston will still compress whatever air is in cylinder

compression gauge is only way to tell for sure

gaskets can fail from sitting too

Thank you for your reply, i can put a compression gauge on it tomorrow, what range would be considered normal? And would that be while pedaling or turning it over by hand? Which gaskets? The only gasket that comes to mind is the intake. I just found on this forum that sometimes these cdi's can come new out of the box and not make spark under compression, i will try the old cdi tomorrow

Ah i just saw another one of your posts in a different thread. You must be talking about the head gasket, i remember when i first bought this kit probably almost 10 years ago the little information i could find online mentioned DO NOT ADJUST HEAD BOLTS. Now that im better informed Ill see if they want to tighten up some tomorrow

you should get over 100, with 125 being normal for many motors - I pedal to get 20 or more turns with throttle held wide open

base and case gaskets can dry out and suck air after sitting a while with no liquids flowing thru

So i removed the exhaust and tried to start it, noticed it dumping raw fuel. Took the carb apart and filled the bowl with fuel and found that only one side of my float actually floats. Situated it so that the floating side can push on the needle. And presto starts with ease now. Runs good just wont hold an idle, getting a new carb wednesday.

Back