Bike won’t start possible flood

ETHAN5438

Local time
4:18 PM
Ride my bike for 2 tanks and then on the third tank ran until it wouldn’t run (no gas?). Then made a new mix 40:1 synthetic blend and now can’t get it to start just floods. I got spark. Thank you for the help.

What carb ya using?
Check the float bowl for debris and or trash stopping it from working right, then check the tickler on the carb if you have a tickler/primer.

Is your choke stuck on? :unsure:

Running out of gas usually does end up migrating some contaminants right into the carb. I suggest not running out if you can help it but i second the recommendation to clean the carb.

Generally the carb flooding wets the spark plug and cylinder pretty badly. Pulling the plug from your engine, with the ignition wires unplugged from the magneto and turn your fuel tap off at the tank. Then run the engine under pedal power around until you see no spray coming from the spark plug hole

If everything is dry a small amount of fue/oil added in the cylinder before screwing the plug back in and hooking up up the coil wires, should give it a brief run as burns the fuel off. Otherwise your spark plug is badly fouled. The stock plugs can get pretty carbon fouled, especially if you're running the 16:1 fuel/oil ratio prior to changing to 40:1 mix.

Engines need 3 things to run... Fuel, spark and compression.

I consider timing the fourth thing engines need to run. Spark is useless even detrimental at the wrong time.

Timing is irrelevant with these engines, they have a keyed magneto that doesn't allow for much if any timing adjustment, unless you like playing around with filing and shimming the magneto's rotor key.

CDI's as a general ignition system are pretty fixed in their base timing. At least most of the ones I've worked with.

I made the mistake with my 48cc HT bike engine of presuming the worst about it and retarded the key so it would fire later. And it actually didn't need retarded timing. Apparently the older engines had the far too advanced timing.

What carb ya using?
Check the float bowl for debris and or trash stopping it from working right, then check the tickler on the carb if you have a tickler/primer.

Is your choke stuck on? :unsure:
The choke is not on and using the stock carb on the second from the top notch

Generally the carb flooding wets the spark plug and cylinder pretty badly. Pulling the plug from your engine, with the ignition wires unplugged from the magneto and turn your fuel tap off at the tank. Then run the engine under pedal power around until you see no spray coming from the spark plug hole

If everything is dry a small amount of fue/oil added in the cylinder before screwing the plug back in and hooking up up the coil wires, should give it a brief run as burns the fuel off. Otherwise your spark plug is badly fouled. The stock plugs can get pretty carbon fouled, especially if you're running the 16:1 fuel/oil ratio prior to changing to 40:1 mix.

Engines need 3 things to run... Fuel, spark and compression.
Yep I changed to a ngk after using 16:1 for a tank or two

Back