Bike won't start

Emcee

Local time
4:45 PM
To everyone who has helped me up until this point. Thank you, thank you all.

So I put the gas and oil in. Hit the primer. Hold the clutch, peddle peddle, release the clutch then I put my hand on the throttle and try to blip it and it dies.

I made a video of the sound. I'm unsure based on the sound, if it's making this kind of sound, does that mean I have a spark and my wires are connected properly? Or does this mean this sound would of happened regardless

Also my instructions said to remove "the crown" of my spark plug which is the tip. Does anybody else do or did this? I've worked on plenty of cars and have never done this to an auto spark plug

Attachments

• IMG_20220716_230712545.jpg
    IMG_20220716_230712545.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 71
you're not giving it enough time. Keep pedaling. Put the choke on. During break-in period my bike was pretty difficult to start. Im about around 300 miles and now it starts easily but a new engine isn't. KEEP PEDALING. pedal like a f***ing maniac until it starts and runs.

Before my engine was broken in i'd have to pedal 50 feet at least down the road before it would start. As an example.

Before my engine was broken in i'd have to pedal 50 feet at least down the road before it would start. As an example.
Id say I did about that. The sputtering noise it's making, is this a good sign?

sounds pretty normal to me. maybe i'll take a video tomorrow of the same procedure. i may forget lol.

just gotta pedal more / farther. don't bother hitting the gas until it starts firing. i've actually found hitting the gas is a no no until it starts firing. id recommend putting the choke on until it starts firing, then turning the choke off, then give it a tiny bit of throttle. from my experience.

Also I would check externally that you actually have spark. if you do you just need to pedal more/ further. spark, fuel and air.

EDIT: like i said before, engines that aren't broken in are notoriously harder to start. not hard to start persay, but take longer. except apparently the phantom 85 lol.

sounds pretty normal to me. maybe i'll take a video tomorrow of the same procedure. i may forget lol.

just gotta pedal more / farther. don't bother hitting the gas until it starts firing. i've actually found hitting the gas is a no no until it starts firing. id recommend putting the choke on until it starts firing, then turning the choke off, then give it a tiny bit of throttle. from my experience.

Also I would check externally that you actually have spark. if you do you just need to pedal more/ further. spark, fuel and air.

EDIT: like i said before, engines that aren't broken in are notoriously harder to start. not hard to start persay, but take longer. except apparently the phantom 85 lol.
I will say this. I did pull the spark plug out of the cylinder. Flipped the bike upside down, ran the peddles to see if I could see a spark on the plug. Didn't see a spark on the plug but with the engine sputtering I don't know if that's a good sign

Also with the choke, do I go up or down with it? Been scrambling on YouTube and cannot find a simple answer

Generally "up" is choke on. And "down" is choke off. Depends on the carb. If you see no spark then t her eis somnething else wrong.

Back