Bike work stands

T

tirebiter

What do you guys use to work on your bikes? I've seen some expensive repair stands but I'm thinking there must be a cheaper way to hold the bike while I'm working on it. Any ideas?

I've used some nylon rope with a figure 8 on a byte (just a loop in the middle) thrown over a rafter, one end tied off to another rafter, the other end somewhere else to help eliminate swing a bit. Then I just hang the saddle nose inside. It has a built in adjustable height too!
I just came across this last night, I haven't looked very far into the page, but it may help with ideas.
http://www.ladyada.net/make/bikestand/index.html

I hang mine from the ceiling in my garage with tie-down straps.
59_122805_017_2.jpg

I have also made these cheesy, bar clamp bike stands.
59_FlyingO_006_1.jpg

it's bar clamps with 3/4 pipe nipples of various lengths. with elbows, etc.
59_sept24_016_1.jpg

sorry the pics kinda cluttered....lol
Dave

I use an old european two bike capacity shop stand. It has a 2" diameter vertical steel post, with a cast iron base. There are two movable parts trays and a heavy crossbar with a rotatable camlock bike holder at each end. I also have a blackburn bench mount bike repair stand which I am thinking about mounting on a piece of 2inch square steel stock that would fit in a standard truck receiver hitch. This would give me a portable stand that could be use away from home.

My bike shop supplier says he can sell this one for $125 plus shipping (from Decatur, AL). My guess on the weight is 15 pounds.....

21_bikestand_002_1.jpg

Back