Bikemotorparts 1.50" rubber drive roller

cpuaid

Local time
12:32 PM
has anyone used the new 1.5" rubber drive roller from BMP? if so, what top speed are you getting with your particular engine setup. curious as to how well it performs in comparison to a typical knurled metal roller. it's currently $36 with free shipping.

Attachments

• ROLLERRUBBERchannel.jpg
    ROLLERRUBBERchannel.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 1,313
I inquired with BMP about 1.5" rubber roller asking if it is better for wet conditions than metal roller, they told me it slips more than knurled roller when wet.
As for speed you are going to get about 20% more speed comparing to 1.25 roller, assuming your engine can keep produce enough torque, so if you are doing 30 MPH with 1.25 roller, you can reach 36 MPH with same engine RPM.

I installed a 1.375" Staton friction roller in my BMP friction drive. When the roller broke:whistle:, I installed a Staton 1.5" roller.

I also broke that roller:whistle:, so now I'll install the BMP 1.5" rubber roller. I'll let you know how this rubber roller compares with the Staton rollers.

I am curious how this BMP rubber roller will perform for you.
How is the traction and wear of the roller and tire, comparing to metal rollers, obviously it will take some run time to evaluate it.

5-7HEAVEN, did you have support brackets on both sides of your rack when you had the broken roller issue? hard to believe that your Staton roller broke. it should have been the hardest roller on the market. i also have a Staton 1.50" roller and aside from the knurls being slightly worn, it's been holding up well so far. i only have the single bar support on my staton kit. i know the BMP rubber roller is going to slip when wet but was just curious if the speed was going to be comparable to a 1.50" knurled roller.

cpu, I have modified Staton old-style single rear strut. I should install the left-side strut for stability.

I have two more used Staton rollers as spares.

Well, I installed two Staton single-action rear support struts. I also replaced the BMP friction housing, since it was carved up to accept the Dominator expansion pipe. I'm using stock exhaust now, so replacing the housing seemed prudent. I also installed the quick-release skewer to stabilize the friction housing. Everthing was very solid now.

A BMP 1.5" friction roller was also mounted on the new BMP housing. My Staton friction rollers were really chewing up the rear tire, so I figured that a hard-rubber friction roller would work better.

Sadly, in 20-something miles, the 1.5" rubber roller is showing premature wear and so is the rear tire. I blew the 460 engine this morning, so when I tear it down I'll measure how much wear there is on the rubber roller.:geek:

man i was really worried about that when you told me it was made out of rubber instead of urethane. sorry to hear about your bad luck but you've helped out a lot of people with your experience with this thing. i almost placed an order this morning with BMP on this roller... :(

For 2.2hp or less engines, this BMP rubber roller would probably work.

I've tried two BMP 1.25" steel friction rollers with one-way bearings. BOTH bearings locked up while riding; it wasn't a big deal coasting downhill, because the 460 engines are good for 11,000 rpm plus.

The BMP steel rollers have a smoother, less aggressive friction surface. I'll try the 1.25" one again.

First I have to find a long-shank T27 or T30 torx driver so I can repair the engine. Lost compression on a five-mile ride, need to pull the cylinder/head.:sick:

I just removed and measured the BMP 1.5" hard rubber friction roller.

After two days and maybe 25 miles' use, the roller's diameter wore down from 1.5" to 1.125".:sick:

There was fine rubber dust on the seatstay frames, which I thought was from the tire.

It was from the tire ANNND the hard rubber friction roller. :sick:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back