Bizarre clutch issue

jwr3k

Local time
12:40 AM
So I am pretty familiar with how a clutch works, the anatomy of a clutch shaft, and how to adjust them properly . . . I know how to adjust the preload collar, the flower nut, cable, etc. I also just got new clutch pads. everything worked great.

well, this morning when I went to start my bike, the clutch was slipping so bad it wouldn't start. kinda came out of no where considering it was completely fine yesterday...
I went into the gearbox and checked everything, tightened the flower nut a little. then I went in under the cable guide and made sure the preload collar was tight enough.
While working on the bike, the clutch started grabbing better, but while pulling and releasing the clutch arm, all of a sudden the slipping got worse and wouldn't engage fully. I went in and tightened the preload collar, which should make everything grab more. Well, for some reason it had the opposite effect. and I'm 100 percent certain that I tightened it properly. Now when I pull in the clutch arm, the wheel spins freely, but the problem is when I release the clutch arm, it almost seems like it doesn't engage at all. sometimes the clutch arm wouldn't return back to it's original position.

Also, a little while ago I replaced my clutch cover, clutch pin and arm, and the bucking bar. the strange thing is that everything was fine yesterday. now it's all out of wack and nothing seems to change that. I did go for a particularly long ride, and might have pushed the engine a little hard, it seemed to be running slightly hot I noted.

does anyone have any ideas? it's almost as if something is getting stuck somewhere and preventing the preload spring from fully engaging everything.

I'm f***ing stumped! And I thought I knew everything there was to know about these clutches! WTF!

thanks guys.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
You gotta have the clutch pulled in while you tightened the flower nut. You gotta use a needle nose pliers to tighten it further than you can with your hands too. Did you put the little screw back in that keeps the flower nut from moving? Clutch should be released when you tighten the cable at the clutch arm.

You gotta have the clutch pulled in while you tightened the flower nut. You gotta use a needle nose pliers to tighten it further than you can with your hands too. Did you put the little screw back in that keeps the flower nut from moving? Clutch should be released when you tighten the cable at the clutch arm.
yes sir I did all of that

Also, the clutch pads are not contaminated with oil at all . . . I think something inside the clutch assembly must've broken or something . . . whats the procedure for pulling the whole clutch out? I'm so frusterated and mystified . . .

Pull the left side cover off the clutch arm and check that the rod is not jammed inside.
I got the clutch cover off, bucking bar and ball seem fine . . . I guess the only parts left to check are inside the actual crankcase now . . .

I had a clutch that froze up on me, I took the clutch plate off and put a socket on the nut underneath it and turned it and freed it up, something else for you to check.

Back