blew spark plug out!

I'm wondering about something. Since all I knew at first when I got my used motor was a leaking carb that had a lot of power. Now I've got another carburetor that doesn't leak but doesn't have the power. Is it possible that what I am experiencing now is normal for a 2 stroke when it comes to power? When I come up a medium size hill I lose about 5 mph. When I take off it takes longer to get up to speed. Is it possible that what I am experiencing now is normal and I just don't know it?

I've been trying and trying to find out why my other carb just doesn't have the power that my gas leaking carb did. What do you think?

cd

Really the chengine won't have as much power as you "expect" until you match the manifolds to the ports and put a tuned expansion chamber on.

This thread brings back memories of when I was a kid.

My dad - who lived through the great depression and learned thrifty ways - never owned a new lawnmower. He would just keep his eye open on trash-collection day, and if he saw a lawnmower out by the curb for pickup, he'd stop and throw it in the back of the car. (Used to embarrass my mother to death!) Then he'd mix and match parts until he got one running. He always had four or five lawnmowers in some stage of Frankenmower resurrection!

Of course, some of these mowers could be hard to start, and with it being my job to mow the grass, I learned all sorts of tricks to get 'em running and keep 'em running, including cleaning and gapping the plugs.

One day I guess I didn't get a plug back in tight after taking it out for cleaning/gapping. That puppy got launched by that Briggs & Stratton spark-plug-missle launcher, and nailed me right on the right shin bone! Man, did that ever hurt! I thought I'd been shot!

Crabdance, it occurs to me that, if this was a frame-mounted engine that launched it's plug, you should consider yourself lucky that you're not singing soprano in the choir!

thanks for your story. And yea, things could have been a lot worse (he says in a high voice). Yea, it was a frame mount. I'm just glad that nothing really bad hapened. I thought I had killed it at first as I was walking it back to the house. All kind of things were going through my head about how bad the damage was. Little did I know that I could just put the plug back in and keep going. What a BLAST!

Even if you did blow the upper assembly they are only $50ish bucks new. I know that most of the peeps on this thread are thrifty and would never dream of buying a new upper assembly (me included), but it is good to know that you don't have to buy a whole new engine when something catastrophically fails.

Back