Exhaust Blew the exhaust gasket today...

sparky, use the blue thread locker, red is too strong. I also recommend changing out the bolts with new ones if possible and starting "fresh". You may find that really good bolts are the key to making the muffler stay put. The engines vibrate a lot and the "space" a gasket creates causes an excess vibration.

I have been using RTV ultra copper silicone with my new bolts and it is working well. I have had to change it once after some hard riding but I may have not applied the RTV perfectly the first time. Its good now.

Make sure to sand down the face plate on the muffler so that it sits flush and has no dirt on it when applying fresh silicone gasket.

It wouldnt hurt to add a dab of "lock tight" bluestuff on the bottom of the mufflers baffle screw. The baffle screw tends to vibrate more when the muffler is on tight. (you dont want it to fall off while riding ;)

one more thing, If air/oil are escaping from your exhaust gasket connection (oil sputtering out), then that means air is getting in also. Your Piston will start to show wear/burn spot from the cool air rushing in through the "hole".. so long story short try not to ride around with a bad exhaust gasket... my 2 cents ;)

what do you mean by twist a bit of wire? because I alsways get problems with the bolts vibrating out too.
i just get a wire (about as thick as a paper clip) and coil it around the thread of both studs, so far the bolts hasnt blown out.

Back