Blow out...

J

Jim H

Got a new rear wheel, steel 26", 12g spokes. Tied spokes, taped nipples w/ three wraps around inner rim w/ electrical tape . Installed rubber rim thing, inner tube and high pressure slick... inflated to 60 psi and boom! Installed another tube and low pressure 2.125 tire, inflated to max 40 psi and installed on bike. Brand new rim is so out of true, unbelievable!!! Remove, inspect, rim is literally bent, either the blowout was strong enough to bend it or my failure to spin the rim prior to install and the rim was bent before install... anybody have a clue to this or am I just a dumb*ss!

dunno...i've had a few of those "bet i should have looked closer, now i'll never really know" moments myself...but with all the prep you did, it would seem a kink in the wheel itself would have become apparent...

btw-for the group...(not personal jim, just taking advantage of a situation) discretionary self-censoring thru use of *'s will help assure that your message comes thru as you wanted...i'm avoiding too-strong an implementaion of censoring because it's too tight even for my tastes...it will blank out whole words, and i know we both don't want that. the choices are: dumb*ss (if you self-censor) or ******* (if the software does it)

so, instead of trying to work around censoring, replace vowels with an asteric and we'll (MBc staff) probably be able to live with it, unless it turns into some kind of cussin' contest. kids are encouraged to browse MBc and i'll make darned sure it remains safe by any parent's standards.

I would say that the force from the blow-out bent the rim..65 psi, thats is a lot of pressure. (BIG explosion !!!)
I once saw a split-rim from my tow truck explode while getting inflated...the ring went thru a cinder-block wall, and into another trucks radiator (luckily, no-one was hurt:eek:)
it is surprising, the force you can get behind air

Thanks augidog, we really must be more considerate of the viewing public, especially our younger folk and those who find profanity offensive. Back to topic; I called the shop where I bought the wheel and told them what happened, they don't seem to think the blowout would bend the rim but if they had been there they might reconsider... any road, they ordered another and pending inspection will determine whether I'll buy a second wheel... to their credit great service, great guys and I give them lots a money.

sounds like ya got a good LBS...something i sorely miss up here.

let us know what forensics digs up 8)

:cool:i had a valvestem blow out in my livingroom one night, with less than 20 miles on my 100psi tire. it sounded like a large firecracker, and scared the daylights outa my dogs! the bike shop said it was a fluke and replaced the tube.

it did not bend my rim.

Reminded me of christmas'78...bought my son his first bike and assembled it on christmas eve. Three in the am xmas day was awakened to a boom! Jumped out of bed, grabbed the pistol and slowly made my way downstairs. No sign of an intruder... checked the tree... the boys bike tire had blown. Luckily he was only two and too small to ride that chrome BMX so I had time to fix it.:LOL:

I have seen wheels bent in lots of ways. A blow out can bend a rim depending on where and how it blows. I personally have had it happen to me years ago on a "down the mountain" bike ride, no motor. Blew the tire completely off the rim and broke several spokes. Luckily I was going in a straight line at the time.

Last edited:
Back