Blow Piston Ring?

Your entitled to your opinions...but keep in mind, im not at odds with you over how you use these china girls on track...they are entirely disposable to you after a few races...im talking to those who are using these in regular everday situations and expect them to last a while and do not have the financial resources of race teams at their disposal...DAMIEN
I am as well,since the current engine I run is from 08 with more than 10k miles on it after this break in procedure and still running strong!What I'm saying is all 2t's should be broke in this way as that is what most manufactures go by!

ok so I cracked the engine open - very confusing. There is absolutely no visible damage to either the piston or the cylinder head. The walls of the cylinder are smooth and shiny, both c clips are in the piston pin, and from what I can see the piston rings are intact (no cracks, nicks, etc)

That being said, I've never seen a blown piston ring before so I don't know what look for specifically.

I'm confused because this really feels like a compression issue yet I found no evidence of external leaks or cracked piston rings. What else could it be?

I can ride the bike in its current state - it still gets me where I need to go but I'd like to be able to go up hills without pedaling like a madman.

Anyone have any other ideas? Maybe overheating somehow caused a blockage in the exhaust or air intake?

I have a spare pair of piston rings on another engine I had to stop using because of a broken bolt situation. I could try swapping the piston rings out but I am not sure if the piston rings would be exactly the right size. Like I said, I don't know what a broken piston ring looks like so its possible I have one.

A broken ring is very obvious, it won't go all the way around the piston and a piece will be missing. If the rings sit proud of the piston, and are complete then put it back together and try riding it some more.

This sounds more like electrical issues, or maybe a shorn key. Check to see if you have spark. You might also have compression loss at a seal or gasket somewhere. Check your gaskets for signs of leakage. Before the cylinder is harder to check if you can't get the engine to turn over. After the cylinder you look for burn marks crossing the gasket to the outside, check the head and exhaust gasket.

Back