Blown head gasket!

I have the same problem and I can't get a new gasket for a few weeks.

I have some exhaust gasket that has 2 outer layers of what looks like aluminium with a thin layer of black paper looking material in between.

I am thinking of making a new gasket out of this??????

I also thought that I may be able to get a gasket from another similar size motor maybe from a yamaha or a honda etc that may be a close fit?

Anyone had any joy with these options?

head gasket

somewhere a customer of mine found a moped head that actually fit his China-Fire engine, might try moped shop,

Mike

Thanks MotorbikeMike,

When you talk about a moped are you talking about what we in OZ call a scooter as in a Honda Spree (badged a Nifty 50 here!) type ride?

If you are I could take the head to various local suppliers and see what they have. If I get one I will post the part# here.

Can a gasket be made out of aluminum can? Just curious. Also my bottom gasket blew but still runs. Just low compression. Whats bottom gasket made of?

Can a gasket be made out of aluminum can? Just curious. Also my bottom gasket blew but still runs. Just low compression. Whats bottom gasket made of?

head gasket can be made of an aluminum can, bottom gasket can be made of gasket paper or cardboard.

I don't think I'd bother with the galvanized....the head gets pretty hot...Have you ever tried welding or grinding galvanized metal? It gives off a terrible stench and I'm told that it isn't good for you to inhale the fumes from hot galvanized metal. And I doubt it would seal as well as aluminum anyways. Try your local lumber yard for some aluminum eave flashing. It's really cheap and I suspect it would be about the right thickness...maybe a little thin, but you could double it up if you had to.

The engines I mentioned earlier that did not use head gaskets were in some old golf carts I worked on many moons ago. To assemble them, you simply cleaned the head and cylinder really well...and then sprayed both mating surfaces with a light coat of aluminum paint and let it sit a couple minutes before bolting together.

I've had the zinc shakes before, that's not something I want to experience again. I wear a respirator while grinding the galvanization off and leave it on for the welding just in case there's still a little bit of zinc left on it.

I used to be a temp at a galvanizing plant. Its definitely nasty stuff to work around.
Make your teeth turn black.

If the lower gasket is just cardboard..can I just make one or does it need to be a certain thikness? Better yet can I get away with just using rtv red silicon gasket maker?

You can make one out of a cereal box. Just RTV will cause the transfer ports to be too low in the engine.

Back