BMX chains ?

MarkM

Local time
7:01 PM
I read somewhere on this website that a person uses a BMX chain on his 2 stroke to drive the rear wheel. Is anybody else doing this? If so, please let me know what size bmx chain you are using and will it replace the #415 size chain that came with my kit.

A smaller chain will fix the clearance problem between my rear white wall tire and the 415 size chain.

Also, does anybody have any tips on how to get more clearance between the rear tire and the engine drive chain? Thanks, Mark M (Nube) :D

MBC EDIT: THIS THREAD HAS BEEN MOVED

Last edited by a moderator:
To get more clearance between the tire and the chain you can put an extra "rag joint" (the rubber piece with the holes in it) between the sprocket and the spokes. Also, some sprockets have the teeth slightly offset-if you flip it over you may get more clearance. Take a look at it-sometimes they are not flat but the edge out by the teeth is not inline with the center part of the sprocket.

Hope this helps.

Sometimes you can loosen the axle nut and cock the front of the tire just a teeny weeny bit to the right.

Remember the chain likes to be straight, and anything that pulls it to the side might make it jump off.

However, it is possible you presently have your tire cocked to the left, and just need to fix it. ;)

The chain is part of the drivetrain and thus belongs in the frame mount drivetrain section. Was in 2 stroke section, now been moved.

BSA

I’m not sure if it was my thread you read about using a bmx chain, but I do use one. I use just the standard 1/2x1/8 BMX Chain. The chain that came with my kit seemed too cheap, thus my reasoning for the switch. I have had no problems yet with the performance of the chain. Good luck

Back