Board Track Builders

My preference for engine would be a Honda GC160 or 190.
I love those GC engines, a lot easier to mount than making a vertical mount for for a GX engine. Start with the motor of your choice and draw/build around it. A big sheet of card or a piece of plywood to draw on, before you know it you're cutting tubes and putting a bike together.

Don't exceed 5.000rpm with a GC series engine. A valve or something will break through the head or cylinder of the engine. They are a very good looking engine with adequate performance. When used with a torque converter the GC160 will peak at right around 5.000rpm. However, torque converters aren't appropriate with board track style bikes.

Hi all, so who's owned or built a BTR or Tribute bike with a Drop Loop Frame? How'd you go about it?
Bought frame? Made frame? Which forks did you use? Real Tank or a dummy with a plastic one inside?
Which engine? Which Drive set up?
Anyone racing these bikes outside Germany?

We might have some experts here!

Post your pics!
I built two of them, both early Harleys.
The first was a replica of Serial Number One.
The second one, which I still have, is a 1908 chassis with a "prototype v-twin" for racing.
The frame is all fabricated from 11 gauge 1.25" tubing. The rear portion is 16 gauge .750 tubing. The head tube and fork are from an old bicycle. Real gas and oil tanks, battery box and coil box are all 16 gauge steel. Engine is my own design, 850 cc v-twin patterned after early Harley singles.
All fabricated from steel, and uses Briggs pistons.
Drive is leather belt.
I just finished a complete tear-down, re-paint and polish.

Attachments

• 20230811_162457.jpg
    20230811_162457.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 97
  • 20230811_162734.jpg
    20230811_162734.jpg
    329.4 KB · Views: 95
  • 20230811_162750.jpg
    20230811_162750.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 20230815_133511.jpg
    20230815_133511.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 98
The second one, which I still have, is a 1908 chassis with a "prototype v-twin" for racing.
The frame is all fabricated from 11 gauge 1.25" tubing. The rear portion is 16 gauge .750 tubing. The head tube and fork are from an old bicycle. Real gas and oil tanks, battery box and coil box are all 16 gauge steel. Engine is my own design, 850 cc v-twin patterned after early Harley singles.
Drive is leather belt.
Really nice sweet beautiful bike!!! Would you mind sharing some info about the v-twin engine you built? What kinda money does it take to build a engine like that? What kinda camshaft would someone use on a build like that? You mentioned briggs pistons, do you by chance use a v-twin briggs camshaft. Sweet ride & execution!!! Thanks.

Really nice sweet beautiful bike!!! Would you mind sharing some info about the v-twin engine you built? What kinda money does it take to build a engine like that? What kinda camshaft would someone use on a build like that? You mentioned briggs pistons, do you by chance use a v-twin briggs camshaft. Sweet ride & execution!!! Thanks.
I don't have time to give you a real detailed explanation right now, but the cam is made from the large hub on the timing gear. I milled it into a cam lobe that opens both exhaust valves with roller followers. I need to find my drawings and post a pic. The intake valves are atmospheric, so no cam needed for them.

I don't have time to give you a real detailed explanation right now, but the cam is made from the large hub on the timing gear. I milled it into a cam lobe that opens both exhaust valves with roller followers. I need to find my drawings and post a pic. The intake valves are atmospheric, so no cam needed for them.
I'll try to post pics in the next few days.

Drive is leather belt.
Beautiful job!

Back