Hey there...:) So we're going to do this one properly..!

Originally, I was going to go with a dedicated board track racer, but this idea became a little too cost prohibitive. With the frames at around $350 USD, that would be almost $500 by the time it got to Oz. And that's not even with the tank. In reality I was probably looking at around $1k AUD just in the frame..!So what I've decided on now is a hybrid street/board track. GT-5 frame with double springer front end, board track style bars and seat set up. Best of both worlds..!

The idea is to have quality parts and running gear throughout, sourced from both bike and motorcycle brands. This thing will be fast so it has to be safe as well - plus it's not exactly legal to be riding these things on the street where I come from.:mad: It will be built around a Fred's Superhammer that I got customised with a 6cc decomp head, 17mm Delorto style PHBG carb, and RM80 exhaust. I live in a flat coastal area at sea level, so it will be turning a 30 or 32T sprocket - see how we go. Thinking of a dark frame colour (gunmetal grey??) that will be offset with anodised gold running gear and parts.

Anyway, here's a list of parts and specs with some photos of goodies I've been sourcing for a few months now. The frame is still around 2 weeks away but the hold up will be the forks. Anyone know where else apart from Bicycle Designer I can source Cuda Double Springer forks from..??!

Cheers
Crisco:)
  • Frame: Alloy GT-2A with pedal stool mount
  • Forks: Cuda Double Springer
  • Bars: Moon cruiser flipped
  • Engine: Fred GT-5 Super hammer 6cc with decomp
  • Carb: 17mm Delorto style PHBG with velocity stack
  • Ignition: Superoo sealed magneto with HD Lighning
  • Exhaust: RM80 Expansion (one in photo is KX80 but it's going on Ebay as it's wrong side)
  • Front Brake: Hydraulic SRAM Guide R 4-piston with SRAM 200mm Centreline rotor. Master cylinder will be swapped to gold anodised moto-x style
  • Crankset: Sugino RD2 Messenger 165mm 44T with sealed BB68
  • Wheels: Custom build by LBS with Novatec disc hubs. QR skewers to be replaced with solid axles
  • Tyres: Kenda Flame 26 x 2.125
  • Chains: KMC710/KMCX9
  • Seat: Leather 3 spring with layed back seatpost
  • Sprocket: Disc brake hub adaptor with 30/32T manic style sprocket
  • Cabling: Jagwire gold braid
IMG_20170618_091628.jpg
IMG_20170618_091724.jpg
IMG_20170618_091738.jpg
IMG_20170618_091752.jpg

Last edited:
Whoever built or installed those cabinetry and drawers in the background did a very nice job, I feel ocd about that crooked runner though...

Cabinets were bought, but yeah, the crooked mat gives me the s**ts too... But when your crazy Whippet starts getting a bit of traction with his Teddy, the place turns upside down..!o_O

IMG_20170614_191234.jpg

So my Sunlite Double Springer arrived today. Gotta say I'm glad I made the choice..!

Heavy duty tubing and welds look to be high quality. The disc bracket and bottom plate look nice and beefy too. Might upgrade the jewellery and throw in some nylon bushings, but apart from that super smiley on this one..!:)

View attachment 77900
Don't forget to change the bushings around when you put her on.View media item 60781

Here is a tip for installing it:
Separate the forks and install the inside fork first.
Make sure it's perfect of course...
Then size in the front fork.
The goal is to have the two fork connecting plates level.

SunlightFork.jpg

Use whatever spacers you need to attach the second fork at the top, just remember you want those two connecting plates level.

Once it's all set, whack off whats left of the steering tube and put the cap on and your set.

Yep, also smart to install the upper headset cone under the upper springer mount as without it, it leaves the bearing open for dust/dirt/moisture to get in. I don't like the look but that's how I have to do mine. Hopefully my linkage is all level I never checked it. I just assembled it dry and loosely cut the tube where it needed to be with my threadless stem.

I keep seeing these forks and getting really interested in buying them, but do they fit a 27.5 inch tire? Those looks like almost 3 inch wide 26ers and just able to fit under the fender.. Without one would that work?
Ive seen people run 3" wide tires on these forks before. Some with fenders. I just don't know how I would attach fenders on mine as I don't want to have to worry about the suspension flexing and jamming the fender into the front tire while moving.

Ive seen people run 3" wide tires on these forks before. Some with fenders. I just don't know how I would attach fenders on mine as I don't want to have to worry about the suspension flexing and jamming the fender into the front tire while moving.
The fender is mounted to the same part of the fork that holds the wheel, no matter what is moving those 2 parts move in sync so they can never physically touch.

The fork appears capable of a 4 inch but my concern is the diameter of the wheel, I know it takes a 26 at 3 but an additional 3/4 of an inch closer to the "bridge" might not be OK...

If I had the measurement of the axle drop out to the highest point inside the fork there I would have a good idea..

Has anyone heard of putting spacers under the steer tube to bring the front of the bike higher? If so that could work if I installed a 26 inch on a fork like that, so my bike wouldn't lean forward.

The fender is mounted to the same part of the fork that holds the wheel, no matter what is moving those 2 parts move in sync so they can never physically touch.

The fork appears capable of a 4 inch but my concern is the diameter of the wheel, I know it takes a 26 at 3 but an additional 3/4 of an inch closer to the "bridge" might not be OK...

If I had the measurement of the axle drop out to the highest point inside the fork there I would have a good idea..

Has anyone heard of putting spacers under the steer tube to bring the front of the bike higher? If so that could work if I installed a 26 inch on a fork like that, so my bike wouldn't lean forward.

Ive read of people installing longer springs or adding spacers to the springs to raise the forks up.

On the diameter I don't know I recently got my 26" tires in and eyeballing the tire about where it should mount there is not much room between the top of a 26" tire and the secondary fork.

Yep if I mount the fender on the front fork where it moves in theory it will move with the wheel but I am afraid cause some people claim their front end suspension traveled enough for the fender to come into contact with the stationary fork and pushed the fender down into the wheel bending the fender.

Ideally I was leaning towards more of a full on fender to protect the down tube and engine from debris being thrown by the front tire. But I guess a shorty fender like in the photo will work as well.

Back