Hey there...:) So we're going to do this one properly..!

Originally, I was going to go with a dedicated board track racer, but this idea became a little too cost prohibitive. With the frames at around $350 USD, that would be almost $500 by the time it got to Oz. And that's not even with the tank. In reality I was probably looking at around $1k AUD just in the frame..!So what I've decided on now is a hybrid street/board track. GT-5 frame with double springer front end, board track style bars and seat set up. Best of both worlds..!

The idea is to have quality parts and running gear throughout, sourced from both bike and motorcycle brands. This thing will be fast so it has to be safe as well - plus it's not exactly legal to be riding these things on the street where I come from.:mad: It will be built around a Fred's Superhammer that I got customised with a 6cc decomp head, 17mm Delorto style PHBG carb, and RM80 exhaust. I live in a flat coastal area at sea level, so it will be turning a 30 or 32T sprocket - see how we go. Thinking of a dark frame colour (gunmetal grey??) that will be offset with anodised gold running gear and parts.

Anyway, here's a list of parts and specs with some photos of goodies I've been sourcing for a few months now. The frame is still around 2 weeks away but the hold up will be the forks. Anyone know where else apart from Bicycle Designer I can source Cuda Double Springer forks from..??!

Cheers
Crisco:)
  • Frame: Alloy GT-2A with pedal stool mount
  • Forks: Cuda Double Springer
  • Bars: Moon cruiser flipped
  • Engine: Fred GT-5 Super hammer 6cc with decomp
  • Carb: 17mm Delorto style PHBG with velocity stack
  • Ignition: Superoo sealed magneto with HD Lighning
  • Exhaust: RM80 Expansion (one in photo is KX80 but it's going on Ebay as it's wrong side)
  • Front Brake: Hydraulic SRAM Guide R 4-piston with SRAM 200mm Centreline rotor. Master cylinder will be swapped to gold anodised moto-x style
  • Crankset: Sugino RD2 Messenger 165mm 44T with sealed BB68
  • Wheels: Custom build by LBS with Novatec disc hubs. QR skewers to be replaced with solid axles
  • Tyres: Kenda Flame 26 x 2.125
  • Chains: KMC710/KMCX9
  • Seat: Leather 3 spring with layed back seatpost
  • Sprocket: Disc brake hub adaptor with 30/32T manic style sprocket
  • Cabling: Jagwire gold braid
IMG_20170618_091628.jpg
IMG_20170618_091724.jpg
IMG_20170618_091738.jpg
IMG_20170618_091752.jpg

Last edited:
That's what I am doing with mine. I got a GT2A curved down tube Skyhawk frame and using it as the basis of my Retro/Vintage motorbicycle build. Mine started off as cruiser but it seems mine is quickly morphing into a retro board track racer.

On springer forks check amazon, I sent my $155 1" threaded Sunlite Deluxe springers back to Niagra bicycle and got from Amazon a new 1 1/8" threadless Sunlite Deluxe springer fork for $99.99 with free two day shipping as I am amazon prime member.

Hey mate... Yeah I was already following your build:)

Nice gun work..! I will have to get someone to paint mine as I'm no good with 2k...

As for the springers, after doing some research I'm pretty much set on the Cuda's. Everything else I've looked at doesn't really stack up quality wise, especially the overpriced Monarchs..!! I think the Sunlite gear looks pretty good.. after all it's made by Sturmey Archer. Problem is Amazon don't ship to Australia yet..!!

Ah that sucks. I went with the Sunlite Dexlue cause it had the welded in disc brake mounts. I didn't want adapters since the frame has the mounts welded in as well. I figure if I slap a motor on a bicycle I am not going to use coaster brakes or rim brakes. I will go right out with disc brakes. I also will be using a double cable brake mount for my disc brakes. Will set the cable for the front a little looser so in theory it should put more brake on the rear than on the front. Ive heard of some doing clutch and brake on it but don't see how you can pull the clutch in all the way as well as use the brakes if its disc lol.

How ever Ive heard Cuda`s are good. I was looking at them a while but don't think they had the disc brake mounts welded in. Or it might have been they didn't have a 1" threaded as my original order was for that.

Also thanks, that was rattlecan there. For a bicycle frame I didn't see the point in cranking up the 60 gallon aircompressor and getting my HVLP spray gun out and mixing paint up when I could just simply have it mixed up base coat/clear coat in a spray can.

Hey mate... Yeah I was already following your build:)

Nice gun work..! I will have to get someone to paint mine as I'm no good with 2k...

As for the springers, after doing some research I'm pretty much set on the Cuda's. Everything else I've looked at doesn't really stack up quality wise, especially the overpriced Monarchs..!! I think the Sunlite gear looks pretty good.. after all it's made by Sturmey Archer. Problem is Amazon don't ship to Australia yet..!!
My 2 cents for the springers. I have worked with both. I have a set of the sunlites on one of my bikes and another set waiting on my next springer build.
The sunlite forks are much better made. The tubes are twice the thickness. The rockers are a far thicker material. the shock buffers at the top of the springs work way better, and the disc mount welded to the fork is another plus. The cudas have much more flex to them. They are very spindly and just don't feel stable. For the little extra money on the sunlites, it is well spent.

My 2 cents for the springers. I have worked with both. I have a set of the sunlites on one of my bikes and another set waiting on my next springer build.
The sunlite forks are much better made. The tubes are twice the thickness. The rockers are a far thicker material. the shock buffers at the top of the springs work way better, and the disc mount welded to the fork is another plus. The cudas have much more flex to them. They are very spindly and just don't feel stable. For the little extra money on the sunlites, it is well spent.

Thanks mate... I was hoping more people would chime in about the springers.

I got sick of waiting for Bicycle Designer so I ended up going with the Sunlites anyway. Sounds like I made a good move..! I'm thinking as long as they have strength, I can always modify anything I'm unhappy with..

More shiny stuff..!!

Some of it not needed now. Have a a 4 bolt chrome stem 21.1mm x 22.2mm (7/8) and a 1 1/8 to 1" headset conversion kit if anyone is interested..?

Last edited:
Nice, I'm fixing to place an order for the boardtrack racer style handle bars from Jake`s for mine. Only thing I cant get a clear cut piece of info on is the rear axle mounted kick stand. Cant find out if they will work on a 150mm drop out or only on the 135mm dropout.

Back