board tracker

filter

SB,
I had picked up some copper fittings to shroud the filter, but it was to bulky.
So I am going to go with your setup(looks sweet). Thanks for taking the time to pass the idea along. It will look right at home on this build.

True confessions... the one pictured was a failure. It was my first attempt and did not use the SS wool but rather a wee plastic filter from Sick Bike Parts... narrower than most and fit inside there. I had made the quarter inch pipe soldered to each end extend inside a bit so that I could fit a short section of hose to it and to the filter and the same at the other end... then I soldered it together hoping there would not be too much heat to incinerate the plastic inside. It leaked, so I rethought it, made a second one which is shorter and uses the SS wool inside so that it isn't a shroud, but is an actual filter. It works. Of course I had to buy a ten foot roll of SS wool, so it isn't cheap by any means, but it does look like I wanted it to and I have enough SS wool left for another thousand bikes. I realized later that the first one would have worked had I not soldered it, but instead tapped a small hole to use a very small brass bolt to hold the sections together. There would have been no heat and it would have worked. I'll send a photo later of the second version in actual use (the short one with SS wool inside). I'm glad you like it. Now I'll be able to point out with pride on your wonderful build... "see that little gas filter there?... that's a Silverbear SS fuel filter." Ha! This stuff is so much fun. I will no doubt be borrowing an idea or two from your build, so thanks in advance.
SB

Here's the little version of the copper fuel filter with stainless steel wool inside... a bit more tidy than the big one, but of course you can make one to fit the space you want to fill up. On this build I needed to do something about the dead space behind the gas tank and the copper fuel filter helped, I think.
SB

Attachments

• DSC04074.JPG
    DSC04074.JPG
    266.2 KB · Views: 1,221
fuel filter

OOOOOhh I love that engine, maytag?

As far as the filter goes once you had given me the idea, the wheels didn't stop turning. Think I have it worked in my limited grey matter. However due to the good weather I'm not getting much done. That is if I don't count a 5 hr ride each day! LOL

Later

Russell/James65

Nice work james,

I just had to laugh when I read your new assessmaent on the value of pre-fabricated tanks. Lotsa labor involved, or a very good setup in advance! Which means $'s !!!

What size tube are you using for the new framework?
and what wall thickness?

Tnx
rc

One inch Dia. .049 wall DOM
Purchased on ebay. used 3/4 emt bender to bend it. EMT bender was opened up slightly using a 1/2 round file.

OOOOOhh I love that engine, maytag?

As far as the filter goes once you had given me the idea, the wheels didn't stop turning. Think I have it worked in my limited grey matter. However due to the good weather I'm not getting much done. That is if I don't count a 5 hr ride each day! LOL

Later

Russell/James65

No, not a Maytag, although some years ago I had one that like a dope I gave away, figuring what will I ever do with this? That was before motored bicycles entered my life. The bike in the picture is the same as what is in my avatar, a Worksman NB which was running a Pk-80 engine. It is being replaced with the one you see in the picture, a 98cc cast iron Villiars 2 stroke. I'm opening up the frame with a different down tube, donated by a 50's Schwinn girls bike. Yes, I love the look of that Villiars cylinder. So cool. Harry76 is doing a thread on his build using a Villiars, elsewhere in this section of the forum.
SB

picture

I just like the pictures in B&W, makes them look older.

Attachments

• old picture.jpg
    old picture.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,182
  • copper%20filter%20129[1].JPG
    copper%20filter%20129[1].JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,163
I have started a sidecar build for this bike. However I am going to post it under BTR-SIDECAR.

Back