boat gas tank used as aux fuel tank for bike.

Discussion in 'Spare Parts, Tools & Product Developement' started by motorbike-scubaguy, Feb 13, 2013.

1. motorbike-scubaguy

motorbike-scubaguy New Member

I am thinking about using a boat gas tank, mounted in a pull behind trailer, with quick disconect, inline fuel filter, and fuel valve for an aux tank to use on those looooooooong rides. Any thoughts or ideas?

<
  2. Anton

Anton Administrator Staff Member

Interesting idea. But is there enough suction from bike engines to pull the fuel up from the trailer or would you need a fuel pump?

3. motorbike-scubaguy

motorbike-scubaguy New Member

Most fuel lines to boat gas tanks have an inline primer bulb to provide suction of fuel.

4. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Most boat motors aren't 50cc or less. Could use a crank[?] driven fuel pump like some small hondas use.

5. Anton

Anton Administrator Staff Member

That's what I was thinking darwin, it would need some kind of fuel pump. It's too high for a small bike engine to draw the fuel. Even if it is primed.

6. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

I use statons 96oz tank and if you run it dry you can go 100 miles on it and it mounts easily. I don't see that tank on his site anymore but theres a sweet 64oz tank he sells. Also some of the scooter/goped sites have some sweet choices in gas tanks.