bolt on electric starter

squirrel87

Local time
8:00 PM
Was wondering how much interest there would be in a bolt on electric starter for the ht chinese motor? I dont like the use a drill with a socket idea it bugs me that its not a 'neat" setup.
I have a setup that im working on that works off a 12v battery and has a slim design to fit inbetween cranks.It bolts on where the pull starter goes. Still in r an d stages though. Any input or things people have tried would be helpful.

The best electric starter would probably be a 24v hub motor to help with the pedal start.

zero interest. battery required. charger/alternator required. starter requires one way clutch. solenoid required. wiring harness, etc. estimated cost? attaching to engine and frame without removing bits of case or covers, how to transfer drive to crankshaft? etc etc. extra weight and hassles. most people can cope with clutch starts and/or using a pullstarter.

Most avid motored bikers have 12v systems on there bike for lights and whatnots. 12v generators fit in side next to the magneto plenty to charge a battery. Would possibly be a bolt on replacement for the magneto case cover. Few different ways to start an engine. Would be no more than 2 or 3 wires from the case. Not enough to call it a harness.
Could be a benifitial item for builders who want to bench start there motor when testing new improvements.

i havent heard of anyone else that starts them up on a bench, they usually leave it in a bike frame.

a starter motor is going to drain a few amps... the 12v charger coil supplies milliamps....how far will you be riding for it to recharge completely? or leaving the battery on charge?

the only time electric start is of any use is when your moto hits reserve at a set of lights. thats the moment when i HATE having a kickstart only bike. (its always at the lights, never hits reserve when riding on the freeway)

P.S. postie bikes still dont have electric starters either ;)

I've been thinking about the Toro snowblower motor with electric starter,it's a 2 stroke Tecumseh I believe, I could be wrong I haven't opened up the snowblower yet, wondering if a motorcycle battery and a pocket size power inverter would work. these have electric starter and pull start.

Attachments

• $_1.JPG
    $_1.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 192
Back