Bottom End Rebuild... How hard?

Lunatuck

Local time
12:13 AM
I purchased a kit to install on a bike, then I found an already assembled bike for a price that was too good to be true. Skip ahead 2 weeks, and the "too good to be true" part became more obvious. The engine is leaking from the bottom. Somewhere along the bottom of where the case splits. If I'm lucky, it's just a gasket.

So I put my other engine (from the kit) in the bike and it's running well, but now I have basically a whole kit, but no engine. Unless I can rebuild this one. I know I need to pull everything, but I don't have the tools for it. If I spend on tools, it's basically the same price as buying a new motor. What do I do with this motor? Fix or junk?

Buy the tools and fix it. You will never regret having to many tools, while not having the tools you need is always full of regurts. You also gain the knowledge of this engine and with the tools other problems that arise become your bitches.

And keep all your 10mm sockets, they'll be more valuable than gold one day.
20190721_121441.jpg

Spider thing is a puller,go to YouTube and check out motorized bike repair videos,Fred chmelski . motor tear down is good

Spider thing is a puller,go to YouTube and check out motorized bike repair videos,Fred chmelski . motor tear down is good

That's one of the videos I've been falling asleep to. I'm gonna buy the cheap ($5) puller and see if I can get it apart.

It’s not very hard or complicated if you take your time, other than replacing the rod big end bearing. It doesn’t take a master mechanic just pay attention to detail.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back