Brake Cable Housing

I am reluctant to go to the professional bike shop because they always scoff at dealing with my MB inquiries.
We have a great (little) bike shop in town, but when I mentioned my motored bike, the owner about did everything but hold up the sign of the cross. He's a true cyclist. I don't talk about my MBs with him anymore.

We have a great (little) bike shop in town, but when I mentioned my motored bike, the owner about did everything but hold up the sign of the cross. He's a true cyclist. I don't talk about my MBs with him anymore.
Some years back, my bike shop was that way, until they saw my bike in action and looked it over...Now they actually offer to do things on it for me if i ever need it, (which i don't...lol)...lol.

Most of them are like that. Now I'd advise anybody not to put a motor/engine on a bicycle shop quality bike. That's why you're paying the extra money for them; it's for pedal power efficiency.

Some years back, my bike shop was that way, until they saw my bike in action and looked it over...Now they actually offer to do things on it for me if i ever need it, (which i don't...lol)...lol.
I found bike shop owners can really respect a safe motorized bike build though they still don't like working on them.

That's the way I have always done it, except that I use the tang of a chainsaw file to ream the end. I recently got a small, hand grinder and found that cutting the housing with a cutoff wheel makes a clean cut.
I've never tried snipping them. I lack the tools. Always used a cut-off wheel. Not that I am super experienced. Just a few times and after watching some YouTube I decided using a cutoff wheel was for me since I already had one.

Sometimes I soldier the cable where I want to cut it to keep it from fraying. You have to get the soldier to flow well so that the cable can still slip in and out of the housing (for lubrication). It still mashes a bit when using side cutters, but it's easy to reshape with a slight squeeze from pliers. I'm thinking now that it might be a good idea to slip a short piece of old housing over the end of the cable and cut through with a cutoff wheel. It shouldn't fray, and you could finish it off with soldier or a crimp. I'll have to give it a try.

Back