Brakes Brake help

90chris

Local time
6:34 PM
Hey there everyone, I'm Chris and I have some questions about brakes as I know nothing about them. So I'm wondering when I buy new brakes if I need to buy the same brand (shimano) cables and brake lever. 2- my bike currently has v brakes set up on them but I would like to switch to caliper style brake like this picture I have the top hole mount to do so I think, what else would I need to have to make the swich( if possible like I said I no nothing at all about brakes...sorry :/) I'll include pictures of my bike and brakes. Thanks to everyone for any and all info and help -Chris

Attachments

• 20220816_153914.jpg
    20220816_153914.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 98
  • Screenshot_20220817-133406_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20220817-133406_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 103
Hey there everyone, I'm Chris and I have some questions about brakes as I no nothing about them. So I'm wondering when I buy new brakes if I need to buy the same brand (shimano) cables and brake lever. 2- my bike currently has v brakes set up on them but I would like to switch to caliper style brake like this picture I have the top hole mount to do so I thing, what else would I need to have to make the swrch( if possible like I said I no nothing at all about brakes...sorry :/) I'll include pictures of my bike and brakes. Thanks to everyone for any and all info and help -Chris
I run disk brakes with mags myself, but there are many on this forum that run the type of brakes you want to change over to.

Someone should be along fairly soon tonight that should be able to tell you everything you should need to do this conversion.

In the past, I've used both V brakes and caliper brakes. I preferred V brakes for their ease in changing pads and wheel removal. Therefore you should just fix what you have.

my bike currently has v brakes set up on them but I would like to switch to caliper style brake
I preferred V brakes for their ease in changing pads and wheel removal. Therefore you should just fix what you have.
Therefore, just because you prefer V brakes Jerry, he should just fix what he has???...lol...lol...lol.

His question was not asking our personal preferences as it seems he has a personal preference of his own wanting to use caliper style brakes instead of V brakes...lol.

So we need folks who have successfully changed over to calipers from V brakes to help this guy out, unless of course there is some hidden danger of doing so that I am not aware of...I think the caliper style he wants to go to has more stopping power than Vs Just as my disks have more stopping power than Vs or calipers.

Therefore, just because you prefer v brakes Jerry, he should just fix what he has???...lol...lol...lol.

His question was not asking our personal preferences as it seems he has a personal prefference of his own wanting to use caliper style brakes instead of V brakes...lol.

So we need folks who have successfully changed over to calipers from V brakes to help this guy out, unless of course there is some hidden danger of doing so that I am not aware of...I think the caliper style he wants to go to has more stopping power than Vs Just as my disks have more stopping power than Vs or calipers.
Notice what the OP says right off; he doesn't know much about brakes. Therefore, the simpler thing to do is fix what you have. As for stopping power caliber brakes aren't going to give you any significant increase. Then there's the question of making the change over fit and work properly.

I've found when it comes to the inexperienced keep it simple.

I concur that those V brakes are more than adequate, and in fact better than caliper. (That is my opinion)

Quality brake pads seems to make to actually make the biggest difference over all as I currently run caliper brakes.
I would try new pads first, see how you like it and if you think you still need to switch, then do that.. But i would bet money that will be the best and cheapest/ easiest solution.

Here's some research for you.

Here's some research for you.

The guy that wrote this article also seems to believe that the regular V brake is superior to the center wire pull caliper braking system.

How 'bout someone take a stab at fixin' it?

In your fork pic, locate the two cap screws holding the lever on each side. There is an anchor plate behind that, with three holes for one end of the lever spring.

Each side should have the end of spring in same hole.

Also see the screw on side? It balances spring tension. Consider the anchor plate holes a rough adjustment, the screws a fine adjustment.

Worst case, some old-fashioned wire bending, to make tension on both sides match.

Take one off, look it over to see how it works.

V brakes are easier to adjust, KISS principle. V brakes are superior in stopping power compared to other rim brake types, nuff said.

Back