Brakes Brake help

Thanks all for input. With what was said and some more reading I did I think I'll just stick to the v brakes for now. But I would like to update them as this one is kinda Jenky and I have to pull the lever kinda hard to get braking power. That being said I should update the whole system right?

You Thanks all for input. With what was said and some more reading I did I think I'll just stick to the v brakes for now. But I would like to update them as this one is kinda Jenky and I have to pull the lever kinda hard to get braking power. That being said I should update the whole system right?
You can look up some YouTube videos on how to fix V brakes.

Thanks all for input. With what was said and some more reading I did I think I'll just stick to the v brakes for now. But I would like to update them as this one is kinda Jenky and I have to pull the lever kinda hard to get braking power. That being said I should update the whole system right?
The levers are probably OK, just all the hardware getting there gets worn out. I've replaced cables and casings on a few systems. The bike gets thrown down and the cables get a kink and the owner thinks the easy fix is a little squirt of WD40. NOT!. WD40 just melts the cable liner and makes it worse.

Okay then , thanks again for the help. I'll watch some more videos and then make the fix. If I have any more questions I'll be sure to be back

90chris, from the looks of your 1st post pic your vbrakes are made from stamped steel plate. Dunno why but those have a lot of flex in them and are the cheapest to buy. With alloy lever vbrakes you will lock up the front or rear vbrake easily. They stop you on a dime in dry conditions. Also your brake isn't adjusted properly. Both sides should be centered from the rim equally about a 1/4in when the brake handle is at rest. Use the cable to adjust the distance from the rim, then use the adjusting screws to center the pads to the rim. Tightening that screw pushes the pad outward, loosening the screw lets the spring force it towards the rim. The pivot action of the lever must be lubricated well with silcone spray to let the spring do its job. Same goes for the brake handle and cable action. Cable is hard to lube completely, handle and lever action is easy.

Back