Brake Light and Horn in Minnesota

Seems there is no standard way that each DMV office is handling these type of licensing issues. I would rather "register" it if possible, just for piece of mind. But, seems like a double standard I would assume a guy bring a chopper in for registration, wouldn't need safety stickers all over the parts that comprise the chopper?

No where in the MN statute for motorized bicycles do I see a vehicle expection requirement!

Maybe we need to go to the DMV in Richfield where Hardy101 had success? Seem their criteria is arbitrary and not consistently followed at all the offices.

Regards,
Bob/rjr003

I agree. I would have piece of mind too if was registered.

I read another post where someone in Burnsville didn't get it registered and has had several run in with the cops, with no issues. It seems the cops and the DMV are unsure how to classify the MB, a bicycle or a moped? I think these things are too new to the state on MN and laws weren't written clearly to clarify exactly how to handle registration of a MB.

Maybe there is a customized motorcycle shop in the area that could give out some tips on how to go about this thing?

I think we need to contact our legislator's on this. Seems the motorized scooter folks (dealers and riders) successfully got the legislature to amend the MN statute and classify them similar to pedal bicycles and they don't need to be registered. How ever the state wants to handle it I don't really care, but with gas at around $4 per gal. I would like to be able to use the bike to run errands at least with some piece of mind that I'm not going be getting a ticket for failure to register or riding an unlicensed vehicle on the streets.

Like I said in a previous post, I've had the county drive right by me, that was one deputy.. not sure all of them would pass me by without a hassle.

Anybody have any other thoughts on this or like Hardy101 actually got the DMV to handover the Moped plates?

regards,
Bob R

Passed by my first Deputy today. Just looked at me and kept on going. Got my heart beating though.

Was heading to Home Depot getting parts to build a headlight. When I pulled into the bike stall, I was approached by a crowd of people inquiring "where did you get that cool bike?". One asked me if I wanted to go into business together selling these things. I just laughed.

Good news, that the deputy passed you. I get the same "looks" from my neighbors riding around, think the bike is cool. My kids friends like it too. Still, I would like to be as close to "legal" as possible. I'm willing to pay the registration (for Moped) and also even the Liability insurance to eliminate the hassle. But, I would rather not have to haul it to a location to get it "inspected" by the state.

Also, saw online, I think ebay, where someone is selling the "epa approved 2 cycles" looks the same as the others, but the seller has put a label stating it meets EPA standards. Wonder if it's legit, or if the seller is just trying to provide his purchasers with peace of mind. Have anyone seen those kits for sale on ebay? 49CC models with the sticker on the housing stating EPA approval.

Regards,
RJR003/Bob R

Those lights aren't worth the trouble. You're best off using brake levers with built in switches and automotive hardware to make a 12v system. It's easy enough, durable as heck, and much more powerful than that bicycle stuff.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back