Brake Light Switch

Pontiac787

Local time
6:53 AM
I would like to add a brake light to my bike. My current lever has a hole for a switch but I’m not sure what size to get. Without Radio Shack to poke around in it is tough to pick. Does anyone know what size switch I would need? I’m not adverse to buying a new lever with the switch installed but the ones I’ve found say they are for e-bikes and elude to the fact they are used to cut motor power under braking so I’m not sure if they are normally open or closed.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I took a bit of a different approach for my brake light. Rather than put the switch in my lever, I got a motorcycle brake pedal switch, kinda like this one:
1611361463971.png

Then I mounted it on the seat stay, added a ferrule to my rear brake cable, and used that to hook the spring to. When I pull the brakes, it pulls on the spring, which pulls on the switch plunger and makes the connection.

I'm not saying you absolutely have to do it this way; just offering an idea.

The plunger type brake light switch are all the same size.
A new brake lever with the switch is about $10 or $15
The switch alone is about $5
You can buy em on E bay or from a scooter store
Pics of the Switch.

DSCF3445.JPG
DSCF3446.JPG
DSCF3452.JPG
DSCF3455.JPG

I took a bit of a different approach for my brake light. Rather than put the switch in my lever, I got a motorcycle brake pedal switch, kinda like this one:
View attachment 103058
Then I mounted it on the seat stay, added a ferrule to my rear brake cable, and used that to hook the spring to. When I pull the brakes, it pulls on the spring, which pulls on the switch plunger and makes the connection.

I'm not saying you absolutely have to do it this way; just offering an idea.
That's what I did, too, but mine's on the fender stay. Ran the cable thru some brake line after it exits the disc. Rather than a ferrule I just left the cable extra long. It works really well.

I would like to add a brake light to my bike. My current lever has a hole for a switch but I’m not sure what size to get. Without Radio Shack to poke around in it is tough to pick. Does anyone know what size switch I would need? I’m not adverse to buying a new lever with the switch installed but the ones I’ve found say they are for e-bikes and elude to the fact they are used to cut motor power under braking so I’m not sure if they are normally open or closed.

Thanks!

You can use E bike brake levers It's lust a switch, Pull lever switch makes contact
But E bike brake levers have a certain type of plug to fit the different types of E bikes. You would probably have to cut and splice the wires.

Scooter brake levers have bullet connections that are easily matched. The Universal brake levers can be used on the left or right side
A set of left and right brake levers can also be bought with a mount on them for a side mirror.

If ya want to go that extra mile get the brake levers with controls.
Besides just a brake light switch you get high/low beam, horn, kill switch, turn signals, mirror mounts and probably a starter button.

You'll find what you want there is a ton of stuff out there for Scooters. Just search Scooters brake levers on E bay

I think its great that you want to have brake lights.
It makes you safer and the Cops like to see a headlight and a working brake light on a M/B.

Last edited:
Thank you. I wasn’t sure if the E-bike switches completed the circuit or broke the circuit.

Back