Brakes Brake Performance. -

Sabre, I have the same center-pull type brakes on my bike. They are not as responsive as brakes that are attached to each side of the forks. However, they can work fine if you adjust them properly. I suggest adjusting them to fit closer to the rim. If you can get them about 3mm clearance on each side, that will improve performace.

The pads you put on are much better than what you had on there originally. You could touch the pads a bit with a grinder or some sand paper to slightly roughen the surface which will make them grab better. Also, make sure you routinely clean your rim of grease and dirt. That will also improve braking performance.

Pad Adjustment

I did try close, far and everything in between. None of it is acceptable. I am going to try a longer pad next and I will try roughing them up and wiping down the rim with a bit of brake cleaner fluid as you suggest. SOMEDAY!!! Rough schedule right now so that bike will sit. It is a spare anyway. My Yellow GEBE kit is gettin all the attention when I have spare minutes to play. It has GREAT brakes.

Home this morning and then right back to Northwest Arkansas for a weekend job on Saturday. Other than the brakes, the blue bike it's a pretty nice foundation for an engine. I paid $125 but will let it go for $100...

General Bicycle question. I bought a used Japanese "MTB" the other night because it met a lot of the requirements for a GEBE or even Happy time. Had slick tires on it. High handle bars. Simple, tight. Good Candidate. EXCEPT. The brakes sucked.. Hard as I tried, I could not skid the back wheel. Even pulling the front brakes in you could not get a high rate deceleration. Compared to my ebike even which has 50 extra pound of battery and motor hanging in it, the light MTB was worse at stopping. I figured I could fix them so I bought the bike. The pads were REAL small so I changed the pads to bigger but not as big as my other bikes and still no joy, still poor braking. It's like the leverage is not right and I can't get enough PSI on the pads. I may try a set of bigger pads(if they fit) but thought I would run this one by the group. In order to get my kit under way I bought yet ANOTHER MTB off of Craigs list and my wife cannot believe what she is seeing in the Garage. I just told her... "Don't ask"

try using a s.o.s. pad on the rim or 320 grit worked for me, gave it more friction.without the scuffed up rim it.ll feel like you need more psi.

Those are probably the best side pull brakes on the market! But they are still side pull and will have a tendicy to flex under hard braking, but not as much as the stamped steel ones on most bikes with side pulls.

I suggest taking it to a bike shop. They will probably find and fix your problem for free.

hey this is cool

http://www.bicycle-engines.com/4str....html?osCsid=d697a52ed86c99cea629a087a87121f4

what i like is the drum brake setup that is on this page once i sell off all my engines im going to buy me a heavy duty hub with thread munt gear but

you can go to a bike shop and buy a crank gear like what roland sent me it was a 36 tooth crank that he drilled holes in to and walla a gear

know to get a light aluminum gear and send it to be cut perfectly for this and nomore bent spokes with tons of speed

later

Back