Brakes Brake Performance. -

How about a mod that would one to double up on the brake pads (2 brake pads for every one now) ?...In the wet, the first pad squeegees off the water and the second pad gives good braking performance and when dry....wow...double the pad area per brake....I would imagine some simple machine work could make such an adapter.
andrew

General Bicycle question. I bought a used Japanese "MTB" the other night because it met a lot of the requirements for a GEBE or even Happy time. Had slick tires on it. High handle bars. Simple, tight. Good Candidate. EXCEPT. The brakes sucked.. Hard as I tried, I could not skid the back wheel. Even pulling the front brakes in you could not get a high rate deceleration. ...
Salmon Kool-Stops are one of the best brands of brake pads I've generally heard mentioned.
http://www.koolstop.com/brakes/index.php#Anchor-Z-Chromium-32006
....I think the one you want is the Salmon-colored "Continental", second from the bottom. Most of the pads there are specific for road brakes or MTB V-brakes, which you don't have.

On the other hand---those brakes are an old design, and bike companies stopped using them on MTB's for a reason. That style works on a road bike because the tire clearance is tight and the pieces are built stout--but on a MTB, to get a lot of tire clearance the brake ends up flexy. Don't expect a whole lot of braking performance.
~

I bought the bull dog brakes and they were in my opinion terrible. There did not seem to be a way to get enough tension. I think it was because the bike was designed and the levers for the v -type brakes. These brakes only slowed the bike down and were very dangerous. I went back to the v design and am happy now.

On my bike I have front disc mounts and I have put a Hope Mono 6 TI 6 pot hyrdaulic disc brake. I can tell you thats got enough grunt to stop me from any speeds!

Back