brake question

ty151

Local time
5:59 PM
i searched around but didnt find what i needed.

I want to get a front pull brake on my 80cc cruiser that only has a coaster brake. Can i just ditch the coster brake and use the front pull brake or do i need a whole new hub? Thanks in advance

If your frame is already set up for pull brakes, just buy the kit to put it in (hopefully your frame will take a direct pull/v brake)

it will take pull brakes but what can i do about the coaster brake? I dont even wanna use it

The more brakes the better, just don't rely completely on it. It's better to have it, because you will never regret it.

Big regret of mine buying a cruiser bike with coaster brake cos i've found i really miss that ability to back-peddle.The brake in itself works ok BUT when i get around to it i'll be removing the 2 internal metal brake shoes & see what happens.
Caliper or V-brakes can always be added.

Big regret of mine buying a cruiser bike with coaster brake cos i've found i really miss that ability to back-peddle.The brake in itself works ok BUT when i get around to it i'll be removing the 2 internal metal brake shoes & see what happens.
Caliper or V-brakes can always be added.

The reason I posted "Coaster Brake" Horror stories was to hopefully give a heads up to a newbie bike purchase, aim them toward a 7 speed as a minimum build. The primary reason being hill climbing/assisting the engine on steeper grades.

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=21095

But you would be hard pressed to take a coaster brake bike on a day long ride, much less an over-nighter.

The reason being, after 3-4 hours in the saddle, when you are pretty much alone on the back road, you can stand up on the peddles of a multi speed, do some stretching and squats.

Wind surfing as I like to think of it, or remembering the movie about that kid, when he first gets on the "Black Stallion" waving his arms.

Back peddling is another way to alleviate "bike boredom", you are doubling your ability move the legs around, which helps a lot more than you would think after a 150-200 miles during the day.

I put over 1500 miles on my deviate back wheel before the frame broke
all I did was take the brake shoes out of the hub
(I had a sturmey-archer X-FD drum on the front :))

Back