Brake question

Carl Walichnowski

Local time
9:13 AM
Ok I have the sprocket adapter that allows me to still use my disc brake (see attached) but I’m having clearance issues with the caliber clearing the sprocket adapter. I’m wondering if anyone has also had this problem and has thought of a fix-it?

I had an issue with my caliper touching spokes, my solution was to add some washers under the rotor, I had to shift the wheel over a bit by adding a washer tottering axle on one side and removing one from the other.

You might be able to add a single or double layer of washers (also known as shims, but when you are using upwards of 10 shims then it's a f***ing washer) to get the clearance you need.

If your rotor is too closecto the frame at that point add a standard axle washer to that side and force the stupid wheel in, at least bike frames flex enough you can do that.

Use a larger diameter rotor, like a 200mm, 203mm etc, (and the appropriate adapter for positioning the rear caliper to match).
Not bad, nothing wrong with an even bigger rotor, might not work if his drive gear is too big. A 200mm rotor is roughly 23 mm larger than a 44t sprocket (at the middle of the tooth engagement diameter,) otherwise almost a half inch farther out on the radius. If he is can clear his sprocket by moving half an inch upwards from it (with chain installed) then that would work.

Back