Brake Question

Wouldn’t washers work the same way as those spacers that are being sold? Also I never tinkered with disc brakes, can anyone suggest a good brand to buy the calibers/discs in the medium price range?

Wouldn’t washers work the same way as those spacers that are being sold? Also I never tinkered with disc brakes, can anyone suggest a good brand to buy the calibers/discs in the medium price range?
If you are talking about the spacers at the caliper they are made to allow alignment to the rotor where washers won't. With washers you will be stuck with the alignment of the fork mount. If you mean at the sprocket I made a home made one before the fancy ones were around. Used nuts for spacers so I guess washers would work too. Avid BB7's are good calipers with pad adjustment on both sides. Avid BB7 MTB Disc Bike Brakes Front&Rear Calipers with G3 160mm Rotor Black 1Set 732040966854 | eBay

View media item 60792
View media item 60791
View media item 60790

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
That’s a great idea. And I’m looking into different brakes now on eBay but with no experience it’s really a shot in the dark with buying. The suggestion is appreciated.

That’s a great idea. And I’m looking into different brakes now on eBay but with no experience it’s really a shot in the dark with buying. The suggestion is appreciated.
The Avid BB7's are good brakes. The sprocket setup in the pic is pretty crude and wasn't used with a disc brake rear, though it could probably be made to work with one. I just wanted to get away from the rag joint by using a disc hub.

I seen a setup where the caliper used the front side of the sprocket for the brake rotor. It was ingenious design.

If you are talking about the spacers at the caliper they are made to allow alignment to the rotor where washers won't. With washers you will be stuck with the alignment of the fork mount. If you mean at the sprocket I made a home made one before the fancy ones were around. Used nuts for spacers so I guess washers would work too. Avid BB7's are good calipers with pad adjustment on both sides. Avid BB7 MTB Disc Bike Brakes Front&Rear Calipers with G3 160mm Rotor Black 1Set 732040966854 | eBay

View media item 60792
View media item 60791
View media item 60790
I love that setup. Furry also made his own and its killer too.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I seen a setup where the caliper used the front side of the sprocket for the brake rotor. It was ingenious design.

Only if your sprocket mounts directly to the wheel hub. If it threads on with reverse threads, you'll loosen the sprocket under braking. And that's gonna put the chain line and the pad alignment out of whack. That's called a sprotor, by the way.

With the 203, the caliper clears the chain, but the adapter won't fit in between the frame and the rotor (I have 135mm dropout) so I'm gonna have to do some fabricating to get it working.

Only if your sprocket mounts directly to the wheel hub. If it threads on with reverse threads, you'll loosen the sprocket under braking. And that's gonna put the chain line and the pad alignment out of whack. That's called a sprotor, by the way.
Great input, had no idea about that. I only seen it and it was the 1st time ever, thought it was cool and it worked.

Back