Brakes, how much is enough?

Frogslayer

Local time
12:37 AM
How do you guys feel about brakes? I have only the coaster brake on my motorized bicycle and it stops me quite well. I see some people getting hung up on having adequate braking. Even motorcycles here in Minnesota legally only need one brake. Learning to swerve at speed is more important than hard braking.

I like levitation, sort of like peddling like the wicked witch from the west on the Wizzard of OZ :D

Well those who ride motorcycles in Minnesota with one brake are really adept and laying 'er down I suppose.

You're relying upon your stopping power on the wheel that unloads tractive force when you decelerate.

Yeah, what could possibly go wrong..

per
How do you guys feel about brakes? I have only the coaster brake on my motorized bicycle and it stops me quite well. I see some people getting hung up on having adequate braking. Even motorcycles here in Minnesota legally only need one brake. Learning to swerve at speed is more important than hard braking.
personally, i run both front and rear v brakes with one lever. it stops me quite well, i think that skill is more important as well. (ie STOP when the light is red!)

I like levitation, sort of like peddling like the wicked witch from the west on the Wizzard of OZ :D

rsz_et_1_3-e1411478088686-940x460.jpg

I'd like to try a 203mm disc brake on my next build I have a 180mm on my bike now. A guy said they stop better might try a shimano disc instead of cheapo chinese. I'm starting to learn Chinese parts just aren't worth it. I got a cheap Chinese airshock and its already bubbling with rust underneath the paint not even used yet. I like the suntour shocks might try one of their EBIKE shocks. They are meant for more speed than regular but i'm having trouble finding one that's 203mm disc compatible, not sure if that's recommended size or if washers can be used to space out the caliper. If you're going to use the bike for transportation I would get a suspension fork you can get a pretty good threadless one for $70 and they're disc brake compatible. I recommend an origin 8 headset if you do get a threadless fork. My forks are pretty good I like them. I actually had no idea SR SUNTOUR was a Taiwan company I thought it was Chinese until someone said. The nice part is you don't have to fork over $300 for a motorized bike fork (but they do have expensive models).

Last edited:
Might be easier on your hand to squeeze the brake lever but if your 180mm disc isn't too hard to squeeze or getting hot i don't see the advantage. Actually you would have more spinning weight which i would say is a disadvantage.

Right now I just have the front disc no rear brake. I think my pads are starting to wear down so it is getting harder to brake (use my feet as well). Depending on how fast your bike goes that's what I would gage your braking on. Mine goes 37 because my neighbor has a speedo and we were side by side. The problem is most of the time the motor won't pick up rpm unless there's a slight downhill or a flat. Also I don't have the pedal chain on. Shimano discs are what I'll probably use from now on, heard good reviews and they're a Japanese company. If you're going through town slow you shouldn't need discs but if you're in the country they're nice.

Back