Brakes Question

fulltimerart

Local time
1:47 AM
I am starting a 4 cycle 49 cc build on a Cranbrook Cruiser and I want to thank various forum members for the loads of info that I have found on the forum so far. After packing all bearings and new HD tires and tubes I am installing a front caliper brake but I have not seen any info about painted rims, pro or con. The e-bikes I have built all had chrome or aluminum rims but do any of you have experience how the rim brakes work/last with the painted rims? Thanks in advance for any help and/or ideas. Art

The spoked metal rims I've seen that are painted are not painted on the sides where the brake pads would wear, just painted on the area where the spokes enter the rim. If the sides were painted it wouldn't last long due to wear from the pads and would be very slippery till worn down in my opinion.

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I am starting a 4 cycle 49 cc build on a Cranbrook Cruiser and I want to thank various forum members for the loads of info that I have found on the forum so far. After packing all bearings and new HD tires and tubes I am installing a front caliper brake but I have not seen any info about painted rims, pro or con. The e-bikes I have built all had chrome or aluminum rims but do any of you have experience how the rim brakes work/last with the painted rims? Thanks in advance for any help and/or ideas. Art
they basically squeak for a short while, but after the paint rubs off they get a lot better.
also, get a good set of u brakes (name brand, odyssey, shimano, tektro) as the cheap ones tend to have thin metal and flex a lot or just plain snap off.

If your engine is 2.5hp, and takes 10 seconds to get from 0 to 40 mph and your brakes take 10 seconds from 40 mph to go to 0, approximately those brakes will dissipate around 2.5hp.... Simple conservation of energy, of course you would have to subtract wind and tire friction and etc but you get the idea.... So yeah brakes usually dissipate many kw of energy, so make sure there kinda good at least good enough to pass Shenzhen quality control...

Also, if you have crappy brakes, you can hose clamp hunks of copper pipe scrap to your handle lever things, which will help a lot as you will get more torque on the brake pads. They can really help a lot, so you can keep those crappy brakes on to save $$$ if you leverage the torque. Also, braking distance is related to v squared. It takes 16 times the breaking distance from 10 mph to 40mph, so plan ahead.

Last edited:
Back