Brakes braking

HERPER

Local time
11:19 AM
hey guys i have a bike i been riding for a little bit now, i keep running into braking problems.
my bike is a happy times 2 stroke and it has a clutch handle on one side, and the throttle and back brake on the other. im burning through brake pads. how can i fix this/ add another brake? if i can get pics ill try to add them but for now i cant.

what has other people done?

hey guys i have a bike i been riding for a little bit now, i keep running into braking problems.
my bike is a happy times 2 stroke and it has a clutch handle on one side, and the throttle and back brake on the other. im burning through brake pads. how can i fix this/ add another brake? if i can get pics ill try to add them but for now i cant.

you don't have a front brake? you need one. In a car, 70% of the braking force is in the front wheels. Not only will you go throw pads with just a rear brake you also can't brake as much

the picture shows my clutch (on top) and front brake. I can pull on the clutch with just my index finger AND brake or just brake or just clutch-I like it. and the HD locking clutch lever is the way to go. good luck and let us know. be safe.
jon

IMG_0988.JPG

Edit: also, make sure the cable and housing are properly lubricated

Last edited:
thats exactly what i was thinkin of doing, one other question, my clutch is hard to pull in, no waycould it be done with one finger. how is yours so easy to pull?

clutch

thats exactly what i was thinkin of doing, one other question, my clutch is hard to pull in, no waycould it be done with one finger. how is yours so easy to pull?

your clutch arm is connected to the roller (terminology?) that pushes the pin in to disengage the clutch. on a new engine the arm is installed facing straight back and this creates a poor angle to pull on the cable at the point that the housing goes into. you need to reinstall the arm 2-3 splines inward so that when the clutch lever is pulled in, the clutch cable and the arm creates a right angle:

in the picture, my clutch is disengaged-see the difference between the stock install and mine? also, the return spring needs to be shortened about an inch.
if you don't have a Dremel already-you will soon. I think this is Large Filipino's mod. kudos.

IMG_0987.JPG

On the second kit I installed I had a terrible time getting the clutch to work-it was really rough and very hard to pull. I didn't know about changing the angle of the clutch lever on the engine, though that might have helped a little. I ended up changing the clutch cable and housing out for a new brake cable and housing and it made a world of difference. So much smoother and very light. The cable that came it the kit had a white housing-my other kit came with a black housing cable and it worked great.

pete

On the second kit I installed I had a terrible time getting the clutch to work-it was really rough and very hard to pull. I didn't know about changing the angle of the clutch lever on the engine, though that might have helped a little. I ended up changing the clutch cable and housing out for a new brake cable and housing and it made a world of difference. So much smoother and very light. The cable that came it the kit had a white housing-my other kit came with a black housing cable and it worked great.

pete

You guys should try this clutch mod. Its a charm.
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=8729

Also they sell a dual brake lever if you want to keep the brake arm on one side.
http://www.cargocycling.org/2008/06/dual-pull-brake.html

Back