Brand new GEBE EHO35 in Nova Scotia

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by applicant_255, Oct 12, 2008.

  1. applicant_255

    applicant_255 New Member

    Just got my GEBE R/S EHO35 last wednesday. Shipping to Halifax Nova Scotia took a timely ( excruciating ) 13 days.

    Had the bicycle for a year and a half now, was stock except for a cateye Velo 8 computer and a new seat. It had a total of around 15km on it.

    Assembled Wednesday evening after work in about an hour, in just enough time before dark to ride down the hill to the gas station to fill it up with Oil and Gas.

    I primed it, flipped the choke and it sputtered for a second, then stopped.. I turned off the choke and it started right away. Elated that I didn't have to pedal the whole kit the whole way back up the hill, I began back towards home, pedaling and only slightly touching the throttle waiting for the engine to warm up.

    Immediately I decide to take my new, mostly untested motored bike on a detour directly away from home in the other direction. As it starts to get dark, and I'm in a part of town I've never been in, I head back.

    Thursday is a dark period, with no biking.

    Friday I bike across the bridge to work. A co-worker of mine has a happy-time engine, so it's not outlandish, but more coworkers mention it than not.

    Over lunch my co-worker and I trade bikes and race. His worn in 49cc two stroke seemed to me to have more power, but his lighter hardtail with a hand-operated clutch vibrated fiercely when I rode it, and was finicky at low speeds. Operating the clutch, brakes, babying the throttle and shifting gears was less than ideal. His bike won the race, but he and I both like my dual-shock rear mounted clutch-less bike better. He would be converted, except his engine cost less than half what mine does.

    Thankful to have my bike back, I zip out on it for lunch, and on the way back appreciate how the fountain drink I'm holding in my left hand isn't spilled thanks to the suspension, and I don't have to drop it to pull a clutch lever to prevent stalling.

    I finish lunch, and decide that I have 20 minutes remaining in lunch that I can go for another ride. I zip out toward the Mackay Bridge then back, hitting my top speed for the day of 52km/h.

    That evening I bike home across the bridge and up to the top of the largest hill in Dartmouth. I store my gear in my car, then head back down the hill and up it two more times.

    Then I head to Canadian Tire. I purchase two locks, a better kickstand, a handlebar bag, tire patch kit, portable bike pump, water bottle and five hose clamps. Also purchased was a rattle can of blue intended to make the yellow engine cover match the color of the bike, but I haven't decided whether I really want to do that yet; The yellow doesn't look half bad.

    I use 5 pounds of zip-ties to strap everything everywhere but where it was designed to go, as the ... unique design of my bike precludes that area.

    Instead of following any instructions that come with the equipment, the bottle, intended as a spare fuel tank, goes on the front fork. Pump goes on the seat tube. A custom crappy plastic bracket holds on the rider light onto the seat. The handlebar bag would block my 3mw led energizer flashlight I just hose-clamped to the bars, so it gets hose-clamped to the engine strap on the back wheel instead.

    On Saturday I'm up at the crack of noon, I weave across town, stop for a burger and test my new locks, then head all the way over to Shearwater. I check my computer, and it tells me I've driven 20km to a destination 12km away.

    I head back downtown, then up toward MicMacMall, and head over to Canadian Tire to see what it's like on my bike instead of a car. Highway biking is scary, that's what it's like. I survive to the parking lot of Canadian Tire, where between that parking lot and Walmart, I promptly run out of gas. 62km on this trip. I am strangely elated, and use nary a swear, a first in my years of running out of gas.

    Without fuel in the spare tank, I coast to a stop, unhook my belt and string it through my handlebar/pannier bag and pedal over to the garage of the see-an-aging tire, and ask them about the nearest gas station. The six of them look confused, so I point to the engine and tell them I'm out of gas. Without the engine running, I don't think they piece together what I'm trying to get across. Perhaps none of them own cars themselves. They give me instructions to leave the business district, take the highway back from where I came, onto the circumferential Highway, then to main street, 8km away.

    Saddened that I knew more about the area than the six of them put together, I bike the half kilometer up Commodore Drive, then coast the rest of the way downhill towards the actual nearest gas station, stopping only to pick up two more riderlights ( 5 bucks at princess auto in the surplus section, MSRP $45 ) and some velcro straps to secure the reserve fuel tank I'll be filling when I get to the bottom of the hill, a proper bicycle repair kit with tools and a pouch, and 4 feet of reflective tape.

    At the bottom of the hill I fill up both tanks with premium for $1.22, and bike not quite directly home, 4 hours and 70km later.

    Saturday evening is spent applying the reflective tape to the inside and outside of the GEBE ring, and figuring out how to trigger the the wireless transmitter for the riderlights so I can have an array of 15 led brake lights.

    The reflective tape I'm particularly proud of - I have a feeling it is fairly flashy, as it alternates red and white, and 4 feet was nearly the exact amount needed; certainly an upgrade from the red reflector I broke putting the drive wheel on.

    For triggering brake-lights, I decided upon a conductive spring mounted on the brake caliper which contacts a ground isolated piece of metal. This setup takes more than two hours of trial and error, soldering then fixing my cruddy soldering job, and 11 more zipties. My bike is now 30% zipties by volume. Late in the evening I finally have my first successful test of brakelights; A nine volt battery powers a wireless transmitter from the bag, which lights up the three riderlights attached to the bag, engine strap and seat.

    On the crack of noon sunday I'm up again, and travel across the bridge to downtown halifax, where I pick up lunch, get in trouble with a security guard for taking pictures on private property ( a parking lot near the port just past the seawall ).

    I bike back halfway to Bedford, then turn left up into Clayton Park, where I run out of gas conveniently at the very top of the hill. This time I'm prepared, and put nearly exactly a full tank of 650ml into the engine. I head south now on NW Arm Drive, past chocolate lake, stopping at Horseshoe Island park to feed a duck, then finish my circumnavigation of Halifax, and head very indirectly for home.

    Only 65km today, top speed 56.2km/h, average 26.6. Milage (kilometerage?) seems to be in the order of .9 liters per 100km.

    My hands hurt, my legs hurt, my rear hurts, and I'm going out again tomorrow to try and break 80km.


    Attached Files:

  2. stude13

    stude13 Active Member

    welcome 255; what a wonderful tale bravisimo! gebe will be happy to post your assessment. im going to google your travels and fly over it. again im glad you are here. mitch
  3. stude13

    stude13 Active Member

    hi 255; it was fun flying over. isnt halifax where there was a huge ammunition ship explosion that wrecked the whole town?
  4. terrence

    terrence Member

    Hi applicant_255. Welcome. Very nice ride. Liked your story.
    Here's some great MSR fuel bottles. Great quality. I own the 22 oz size. It fits in the water bottle holder also. terrence
  5. sabala

    sabala Guest

    Now that's an intro. Glad to see another gebe rider. I think the yellow cover makes a nice compliment to the blue bike...I also have the same color scheme goin'.
  6. applicant_255

    applicant_255 New Member


    This link has a map:

    This one tells the story in a bit more detail:

    Basically, on December 19th, two ships collided in the harbor, and caught fire. One happened to be carrying a full load of explosives for the war. From the wiki article:

    "At 9:04:35 AM, the cargo of Mont-Blanc exploded with more force than any man-made explosion before it, equivalent to roughly 3 kilotons of TNT. (Compare to atomic bomb Little Boy dropped in Hiroshima, which had an estimated power of 13 kilotons TNT equivalent.) The ship was instantly destroyed in the giant fireball that rose over 1.6 kilometres (1 mi) into the air, forming a large mushroom cloud. Shards of hot metal rained down across Halifax and Dartmouth. The force of the blast triggered a tsunami, which rose up as high as 18 metres above the harbour's high-water mark on the Halifax side, caused by the rapid displacement of harbour water in the vicinity of the blast, followed by water rushing back in towards the shore."
  7. Alaskavan

    Alaskavan Guest

    Welcome to MBc. Ah, the beauty of a quality rack mount kit - Install it and ride.