Brand new Golden eagle belt with tears in it??

Will'smotobikes19

Local time
9:27 PM
Ok this is dumb I just got a new belt and it's already getting tore up between the teeth and backing material. I think that it can't take the power or the spring on the tensioner is too worn out. But still it's only 49cc 2 stroke it shouldn't tear a new belt. The more I mess with this the more I want to just get rid of all of it and never mess with it again. The drive ring has sections with no teeth I believe this is purposely so it tears the belt with a bigger motor. I hear a noise that goes scrape scrape of course with more friction coming from the back side of the belt after it rotates past the ring. The spring is noticeably weaker than when I first put it on and have observed the tensioner being pushed as it makes the scrape noise. I wonder if chain drive is possible just take the gear off the clutch and attach a sprocket. It went pretty fast nearly 40 id guess. Noticeably faster than the subaru but the thing shakes like crazy and is coldblooded. I know I'll probably just toss that spring and try selling the bike just not enjoyable.

Last edited:
If you need a new/stronger spring the local Ace has an assortment to choose from. That belt needs to ride perfectly square to the drive ring and be inline 100%. Car belts don't wear prematurely unless one of the pulley's bearings are shot or installed incorrectly. You can tell a lot with a long straight yard stick and a 3in bubble/level.

might be something about if a belt sits on a shelf for a year it can get really dried out,
I'm sorry you're having engine probs,, they happen to all makes and designs, not just GEBE setups or CG or even Honda, etc,, esp when we are using engines in non-standard applications and full-throttle use is hard on anything.
my CG no problems bcs it's never seen more than 2/3 throttle except once in it's life. My 98 Pontiac supercharged v6 has 286K miles! I only baby it,, shouldn't even got it bcs I dont need 240hp lol I drive 1.1miles to work only. if I go on a trip, I take the 48cc roadbike for the 70+ mpg I get haha

I saw you're thinking abt a moped. fly around on one of those and you'll see they have their own issues, like eating up brakes, electrical gremlins (esp used 'peds) and other little annoying things

If you need a new/stronger spring the local Ace has an assortment to choose from. That belt needs to ride perfectly square to the drive ring and be inline 100%. Car belts don't wear prematurely unless one of the pulley's bearings are shot or installed incorrectly. You can tell a lot with a long straight yard stick and a 3in bubble/level.
Just went there today got one that seems better its shorter but seems stronger. Bolts are vibrating loose might need to loctite the gas tank bolt and isolator block bolt came loose. I need to get the drive ring alignment better because it is very close to the upper chain stay.

Ok this is dumb I just got a new belt and it's already getting tore up between the teeth and backing material. I think that it can't take the power or the spring on the tensioner is too worn out. But still it's only 49cc 2 stroke it shouldn't tear a new belt. The more I mess with this the more I want to just get rid of all of it and never mess with it again. The drive ring has sections with no teeth I believe this is purposely so it tears the belt with a bigger motor. I hear a noise that goes scrape scrape of course with more friction coming from the back side of the belt after it rotates past the ring. The spring is noticeably weaker than when I first put it on and have observed the tensioner being pushed as it makes the scrape noise. I wonder if chain drive is possible just take the gear off the clutch and attach a sprocket. It went pretty fast nearly 40 id guess. Noticeably faster than the subaru but the thing shakes like crazy and is coldblooded. I know I'll probably just toss that spring and try selling the bike just not enjoyable.
Try checking your belt alignment , be sure that the rear frame/ drop outs is straight . Utube has some videos on how to check the the alignment and simple DIY tools to use. I was breaking belts and this was my problem. Good luck

There must be a reason GEBE doesn't recommend any engine over 35cc's.. They tried using the Tanaka 40cc's for awhile then stopped selling them long before Tanaka quit making them.

Back