brand new PHATMOTO engine ceased after 2 miles.... replacement ideas/advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can use an electric drill on the fly wheel bolt to start it if you have a socket drive for a drill if it's like a predator engine. Darwin gave some good advise, he's a four stroke guy here.

Did you ever check the carb before you dismantled the engine? Just wondering.
the engine was't turning at all, i dont see what that would have to do with the carb, but yes, the carb was the first thing i removed. its brand new, so i didnt see a need to rebuild it. however i did visually inspect it for damage and it appeared to be in good shape and functioning.

i used to start one of my old minichoppers with a drill...
also, did you remove the washers behind the governor arm and behind the gear? if not you have 2 large metal pieces floating around in your engine.

now, does it have compression? if you dont know get a compression tester and see what psi rating it is. should be above 50psi

inspect the flywheel as it could have sheared a flywheel key and the timing could be off.
check the valves for leaks.

just some ideas, hope you get that thing running!

also, did you remove the washers behind the governor arm and behind the gear? if not you have 2 large metal pieces floating around in your engine.

now, does it have compression? if you dont know get a compression tester and see what psi rating it is. should be above 50psi

inspect the flywheel as it could have sheared a flywheel key and the timing could be off.
check the valves for leaks.

just some ideas, hope you get that thing running!
yes i removed the washers, and i will try out your other sugestions.... also, how flush is the coil supposed to be to the flywheel... if that makes any sense... i might be a lil off on the terminology. but i hope you know what im saying... and im thinking there might be a thing or 2 i also might have done wrong... im gonna rebuld it again and i'll let you know what happens
-

The gap between the coil and the flywheel should be around the thickness of a business card, both ends. While you have it apart, think about a new timing key, 8 degrees advance will be plenty.

The gap between the coil and the flywheel should be around the thickness of a business card, both ends. While you have it apart, think about a new timing key, 8 degrees advance will be plenty.
thanks, i already took it apart and put it back together, i dont need a compression tester to know it has no compression... i like to think of myself as mechanically inclined, but im not gonna pretend to know what a timing key is or how to apply advise such as "8 degrees advance" sorry if i sound dumb. but i am trying to learn.

This little guy, https://www.ombwarehouse.com/8-degree-offset-key.html off sets the crank and gives you 8 degrees of advance. You will have to find the one for your particular motor. You pull the flywheel and take out the one that is there and replace with one with more advance. You probably have a Pedator or similar, Harbor Freight has them for 99 every once in awhile.

This little guy, https://www.ombwarehouse.com/8-degree-offset-key.html off sets the crank and gives you 8 degrees of advance. You will have to find the one for your particular motor. You pull the flywheel and take out the one that is there and replace with one with more advance. You probably have a Pedator or similar, Harbor Freight has them for 99 every once in awhile.

no i have the motor that comes with the phatmoto rover, which i believe is a lifan 79.5cc motor. gasbike dosent sell any parts for it and told me i have to replace the whole motor.

but it will be a cold day in hell before i buy anything from them again... so thats why im looking for a replacement from somewhere else if i cant fix the one thats on it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back